Timbermate Wood Filler

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
segovia

Timbermate Wood Filler

Post by segovia »

Has anyone used the Timbermate Wood Filler from S-Mac?

Seems to have good reviews

John
watergunn

Re: Timbermate Wood Filler

Post by watergunn »

I have used it on three guitars so far. Works great. The rosewood color comes out more of a gray color so you will have to tint it.
On mahogany the ebony works straight out of the jar with no tinting. But I did tint the ebony with black dye to make it darker. Since the wood is a darker color to begin with the ebony looks like dark gray. Once I added the black dye it is now completely black.

But it really smells BAD!!!!!!

I have to open a door and put a fan in the doorway to help with the odor.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I used it on an African Mahogany neck, the rosewood, and I really like how it looks. It goes on easy, and sands really easy.
I am about to use the rosewood color on the Santos Mahogany dred I'm making. The wood is a dark brown/red color and I think it will look good. I didn't notice it looking grey when dry, but haven't used it much yet.

Kevin
segovia

Post by segovia »

Great thanks

If it needs colouring, what options are there?

J
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

segovia wrote:Great thanks

If it needs colouring, what options are there?

J
On Mahogany I've used natural tint Timbermate dyed with equal parts of Black and Brown Mahogany Transtint dye. It looks too light when it dries. It darkens when top coated but not as much as an oil filler does so test on scrap. I'm not sure where you are located but it may be available locally. We can get it from our woodworker's supply stores, home hardware centers, etc. here.
Winston_S

Post by Winston_S »

I buy the natural timbermate and add minwax stains for desired coloring and have had very good results ending up with a what you see is what you get result. I tend to pick up the minwax sample packs when I hit the hardware store and mix as needed. Saves from having to buy full cans. :-)
Winston (Kip) Scoville
segovia

Post by segovia »

Hi

Is MiniWax a liquid wood dye ?

J
Winston_S

Post by Winston_S »

No. Dyes and Stains differ. The simplest explanation I have come across for the difference:
"Very simply put, stains are very thin paints and dyes are why your socks are red out of the washer. With stains, the pigment tends to remain on the surface of the wood and lodge in the pores, while dyes penetrate deeply and color the wood from within."
source
Winston (Kip) Scoville