Question before I start Zpoxy on Brazilian rosewood back

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
johnnparchem

Question before I start Zpoxy on Brazilian rosewood back

Post by johnnparchem »

Right at the moment I have my maple bindings and purflings looking nice and clean. I used a very sharp scrapper to get them that way. Should I try to seal these before the zpoxy. I am afraid that the oil from the rosewood will tint the zpoxy, permanently staining my purflings.

My thought is to carefully paint with shellac but then I am afraid I will have problems with the zpoxy on the shellac.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
John
Ken C

Re: Question before I start Zpoxy on Brazilian rosewood back

Post by Ken C »

John, I haven't used zpoxy before, but Target's HSF will absorb color from RW. Ken Cierp and others have talked about a laying down a coat of lacquer or sealer over the entire surface prior to pore filling as that will ease with scraping the filler off. It will also keep your RW from bleeding and staining your purflings and bindings. I have done this most, but not all the time, as well.

Ken
johnnparchem

Re: Question before I start Zpoxy on Brazilian rosewood back

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks,

I am bit nervous about putting zpoxy on a sealer. I know that it is not recommenced to have shellac under zpoxy. My current thoughts are to either brush on a couple coats shellac or KTM-SV, the ultimate finish, on the the maple while filling the back and sides. I can then sand it back while preping the the back and slides after the fill.

I have had shellac on the top through all of the sanding and scrapping of the rosewood, with the plan to leave it there until I am totally finsihed with the back and sides.