More Fun w/EM6000

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
kencierp

Re: More Fun w/EM6000

Post by kencierp »

Ken--I scrape down to the sealer maybe remove some of it, but with the nitro, the top coats just melt in and blend to form a single layer. Not sure exactly what would be best to done with the EM6000 to prevent blotching?

With my new pore fill technique I am really liking the Behlens Jet Spray toning lacquers --- I spray it on after leveling the pore filler then spray three coats of sealer to protect it (don't want to be scraping or sanding it off) -- pretty cool.

Target has a WB toner right?

I should add that my focus now is to document a workable finish system using mostly rattle cans -- brushing is OK. A compressor system is great -- but many folks simple don't have or want them. But even for my finishing projects RC's are quick, with zero clean up (for me time is money!!) No boo's from the purists please.
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Ken, I might try your technique on my next build. I have used EM6000 prior to pore filling in the past, but I always sanded everything back to bare wood to make sure I had nothing on the surface prior to building up the lacquer. If the razor blade does a good job removing the pore fill without removing the seal coat, that would be great!

Regarding WB toners, I just tint my lacquer with Transtint dyes. Target has a new product out called EM1000, which is a clear sanding sealer. I used it when bursting the Les Paul. As it is clear, it makes a great toner as I can better see the density of the tint when I mix. I have also added tints to EM6000, which works very well. I used honey amber in my first two coats of EM6000 above the burst as I didn't want to insert amber shellac into the mixtures of topcoats already on that guitar. The bindings on the LP were very white and looked out of place, so I used the tint to give them more of an aged look.

No booing from me regarding RC's. A lot of guys, many participants to this forum, don't have the setup to spray lacquers. A recommendation for a good rattle can finish would be quite popular.

Ken
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!
You are getting my good at the finish process Ken. Fabulous.
(I still like epoxy for pore filling...and it too scrapes off nicely with a razor blade...not much sanding to do)
Kevin
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

You guys mention zpoxy and HSF but what about System Three SB-112. Any thoughts or comments?
Tim Benware
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Ben-Had wrote:You guys mention zpoxy and HSF but what about System Three SB-112. Any thoughts or comments?
Haven't used it.