Am I missing something?

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
DaveH

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by DaveH »

Water based finishes: Synthetic Brush
Solvent Based Finish: Natural Bristle Brush

Those that do a lot of marine finishing, which is exclusively solvent based, often use Badger Hair Brushes. I also recommend that a "varnishing" type brush is used, which typically has a longer brush section. With all of these finishes you are trying to flow finish on to the work so that it can level out the brush strokes. Lacquer is not a brushing finish - it dries too quick. It is also recommended that you keep the brush width to a minimum - no wider than 2"

Look outside of big-box DYI centers for a brush. Find a good old-fashioned paint store that caters to professionals. They will carry better brushes. If not they can recommend good brushes. Once you find the "right" one you can always find it on the internet. You can also check out woodworking supply houses like Rockler, Woodcraft, Homestead Finish, etc.

Clean the brush with lacquer thinner 2-3 times. Follow it up with a rinse of mineral spirits or turpentine. These both have natural oils that will keep the bristle supple. Lacquer thinner will dry out a brush like nothing else. Tightly wrap the brush or put it back in the sleeve it came with. This will retain it's shape, which is critical.

For those wanting to try "brushing" lacquer keep a few things in mind. Deft is formulated so that it can be brushed. Most other lacquers are designed for spraying. Look for a true brushing lacquer - but not that it may not be the best finish for an acoustic guitar. The other recommendation is to experiment on scrap material. Developing your technique to brush lacquer will take a little while. At first you will not put on enough finish and then brush it too much. It will have brush marks no doubt. Remember that you are basically using the brush to "flow" lacquer on to the work. Use plenty of finish, keep the brush wet, and move quickly.

A brushed coat of lacquer is easily 4x thicker than a sprayed coat. It takes longer/coat to dry, cure, and reach it's final hardness. Take this into account overall.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Before I used a sprayer I did a lot of finish work. To be honest the brush is the key . for slopping house paint Lowes and Home Depot are your shop to get real good finishing go to a good paint store like Shirwinn Williams and get a real brush . There is a big difference between brushes. I used a badger hair brush . I paid serious cash but there is a difference when you use one .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Join the preferred customer program with Sherwin Williams. You'll get frequent serious discounts via email.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

If the 2.5" brush works for you then it's fine. The width and quality is not really important when applying pore filler. A stiffer brush may actually be better for applying pore fillers.

Sherwin Williams is an excellent source as they have full line of industrial finishes and used extensively by industrial and commercial users.

You don't have to spend a great amount on a brush but a $10 brush will probably not work very well when applying lacquer.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I like the brushes I have gotten from http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.c ... rushes.htm
I've use the HOMESTEAD DELUXE GOLDEN TAKLON for waterbased finsihes.

They also have nice ox hair brushes and china bristle brushes. They know what they are doing and are always willing to give technical support and help for the products they sell.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I will say that I had some micro mech and while it lasted a long time , Like Ken I use sandpaper and stock grits from 60 to 2500 . I agree , wipe , clean , dust , blow off , avoid surface contamination when you are working with finish . You can make scratches easier than taking them out
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

kencierp wrote:Purdy
2" UPC 716341001001
100% Natural white China Bristle
I had an Old Friend who was a professional painter for over 50 years...one of the jobs that he did, was ALL of the Oak trim and the handrails and treads on a 150 year old stairway in a very old church in Florida, just for .02 worth, THIS particular Purdy brush was the ONLY brush he used. it was his favorite and the only brush he would use when particular work was called for.

The church job took over 2 years (At no charge to the church by the way) working only at night when his schedule allowed.
There could be NO spraying in the church because of other artifacts in close proximity that could not be covered or moved and at the request of the church, so it all done with a brush. MANY brushes, and all the same as the one Ken had given the information for, for what ever that's worth, it's the only brush I have ever used.

if you choose to use a Purdy Brush, keep the yellow Velcro cover and the information will always be at hand....I keep my brush (Brushes) in this wrapper after proper cleaning and drying....and HIDE your brushes :)

More than one? Yup...I don't mix products with my brushes, each product has it's own brush, Oils, water, varnish etc.. silly? Maybe, but that's what I was taught to do..again, for what ever it's worth.

http://www.checkupc.com/product-191842 Psssst... push the blue "More" button and Note the mention of LACQUER. and the "Anywhere the need is for an extremely SMOOTH finish".

Ray (:>)8>