Zpoxy curing problems

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
ian12

Zpoxy curing problems

Post by ian12 »

Hi All
I am new to the forum and have been using Zpoxy finishing resin for pore filling and have had some curing problems. I pore filled and left it overnight and found it was still tacky, left it for a few days and still tacky. I noticed this morning it was dry but this was a week and it was only the first coat ( I mixed using digital scales ). I followed the guidance found on this forum by applying with a credit card and scraping of the excess. The bottle was opened about 6 months ago would this be the problem? I have used this method in the past and it has cured ok.

Of course I would like to avoid curing issues but can't seem to find a clear pore filler in the UK.

Any help would be great.

Oh I should mention I am not a luthier but a boxmaker and french polish quite a few of my boxes www.hawthornecrafts.com

Cheers

Ian
kencierp

Re: Zpoxy curing problems

Post by kencierp »

Yeah that can happen with epoxies -- I believe (from my RC days) that Zpoxy is ambient air temperature sensitive I'd try blowing some warm air over it -- take care not to dry out the instrument. $.02
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have used zpoxy on four guitars, and it always has seemed fully cured if I left it overnight. It is mixed 1 to 1 and I have found that even estimating the mix it still cures. I would question the zpoxy you have.

Your boxes look great, inside and outside!
ian12

Post by ian12 »

Thanks guys. I did think it was the bottle of epoxy - perhaps a bad batch, but the point Ken made about the Temp might also be the problem.

Will test a new bottle and post my findings.

Cheers

Ian
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

I estimate the mix of Zpoxy and it cures fine. I also just used a bottle I opened about 9 months ago so I don't think that is the problem either. Maybe temp or humidity of the environment?
kyle
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Don't panic -- try the hair dryer -- its what they talk about on the RC molder's forums, after all that is what the stuff is really designed to be used for, bonding and leveling fiberglass cloth to balsa wood. It seems that the tacky feel is just the top surface and that will easily sand off.
ian12

Post by ian12 »

It seems quite dry now, I suppose I just want something than fills, dries and sands without clogging too much. Had tried shellac sanding sealer but found this can bridge the pores and of course can shrink over time. Can anyone recommend a good clear filler that will take to shellac.

Ian
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Here's my recommendation

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1826
ian12

Post by ian12 »

Yes I had saw that post - very interesting. Will it go over shellac ok?

I just have to now see if they ship to the UK.

Cheers

Ian