French Polishing - left lint on back

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
jrc127

French Polishing - left lint on back

Post by jrc127 »

On my last pass over the back I charged the pad too much and left some lint in a couple of places. The pad cover was getting worn and I probably used it a bit too long without changing it.

What's the preferred means to remove the lint. I was thinking of putting only alcohol on the pad and trying to rub out the lint and then build up the coat again to where it was before. In the attached photo the lint shows up as white specks.

These are leveling coats and I haven't started to build up the body coats yet. I'm using Stew Mac clear water base grain filler. It is finally getting most of the pores filled after about six coats ; the can said two coats would work.

Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

Martin 000-18 Kit (African Mahogany, Sitka Spruce)
johnnparchem

Re: French Polishing - left lint on back

Post by johnnparchem »

I would wait a day or overnight and lightly sand it off 400 grit or so. The lint is probably right on top.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Coincidentally, I was just watching Robbie's French Polish video. He discussed this very thing.

In his demonstration, he just very lightly level sanded it with 1000grit paper, and put on another polish coat.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
jrc127

Post by jrc127 »

The lint is definitely right at the top. I'll sand it our as suggested. It's frustrating because after all the coats of pore filler I put on. This is my first try at french polishing and I've learned a thing or two for sure.
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I feel your pain. I'm putting french polish on a re-top project I'm just finishing up. I've done all the reading and video watching there is to do. now it's just a matter of putting shellac to wood. :p
My poorly maintained "Blog"
jrc127

Post by jrc127 »

Sanded the lint off as recommended and my last session of grain filling has filled all the pores. Now to start building the finish!
James Cowhey
Manheim, PA