Pore Filling the Neck

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Darryl Young

Pore Filling the Neck

Post by Darryl Young »

Do you use a differerent filler for the neck than you use for the body? If so, why? Is it so you can tint the filler? I'm going to use zpoxy as the filler on the body but I have no idea how well it works for a neck. What do you use on your necks? My neck is a 5 piece with a flamed maple center stripe, 2 thin ebony stripes on either side of the maple, and the rest of the neck is Honduran mahogany. I'm thinking if I tint the pore filler dark, it will stain the maple so I'm thinking of not tinting the filler at all.
Slacker......
John S

Re: Pore Filling the Neck

Post by John S »

I use Z-poxy on the neck as well as the body. I don't use a scraper of any kind here, but instead smoosh it into the pores using my nitrile glove-protected fingers. The inherent amber tint of the resin will warm up your maple stripe a little bit, but not too much, I expect.
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

John S wrote:I use Z-poxy on the neck as well as the body. I don't use a scraper of any kind here, but instead smoosh it into the pores using my nitrile glove-protected fingers. The inherent amber tint of the resin will warm up your maple stripe a little bit, but not too much, I expect.
What John says.

I've used the same technique. Applying less is better and one can even thin it out with denatured alcohol to smooth it out.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Thanks for that tip......I'm sure I'll use it. I'm not worried about adding a slight amber tint to the maple.

I should be in bed......just got back from the emergency room. My 10 yr old broke both bones in the lower part of her left forearm at the park tonight. We have to have her back at 7:00 AM in the morning so they can put her to sleep and set everything. It's a Collies fracture if that means anything to you. Hope she gets a little sleep tonight sitting up in the chair. Maybe the Codine laced Tylenol will help.

Slacker......
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Ouch...poor girl.

Hang in there, Darryl. She'll heal quickly.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is one big ouch. I am sure she will do well. The best to you and she
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

YIKES!!!
Thats a nice dinner fork fracture! I remember the first time I saw a kid come into the emergency room where I used to work. It looks so much worse than it is usually.
Best of luck with setting the bones!
FYI: A Colles fracture is a specific type of distal radius fracture, which looks just like your daughter's break. Most doctors in the US incorrectly refer to any distal radius fracture as a Colles fracture, but none of this is going to make your daughter's pain go away.
She will be fine in 6-8 weeks, which is of no consolation to you since she is hurting now.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Well, we are back home now. The orthopedic surgeon was able to set the arm while Kyla was out under anesthesia. He didn't have to open up the arm thankfully. They will monitor healing closely with X-rays every week to insure everything stays aligned and straight. Since both bones were snapped, it's common for things to slip off at an angle and heal crooked thus the close monitoring.

Thanks for the well wishes!
Slacker......
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Hey!! Good news. I am glad it turned out OK. Hopefully it will hurt less now that its set.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Wow! I hope she recovers well with it. That's tough on active kids - not to mention tough on parents.
Ohhhhhhhh the price we pay.
Best wishes.