good book

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
deadedith

good book

Post by deadedith »

From Barnes and Noble - "Traditional Finishing Techniques' - in the crafts section of the store. A selection of techniques from Fine Woodworking magazine, some are brushed, some are padded, some are wipe on, using a variety of finishes all easily available. The front cover shows a guy brushing something on a large table top that I would be proud to have on any guitar. Which I will, eventually!
Anyway, a good book, lots of pix, most of us could use the input.
Dave B
Darryl Young

Re: good book

Post by Darryl Young »

Here is another good book, Spray Finishing Made Simple by Jeff Jewitt.

Jeff is the owner of Homestead Finishing Products (or at least works there). He is a contributin editor to Fine Woodworking magazine and is considered an authority on wood finishes. This book includes a 1 hour long DVD that demonstrates the techniques, cleaning procedures, patterns, etc. discussed in the book. The book with DVD is $25. By the way, if you call Homestead Finishing Jeff answers the phone and seems very willing to help. Here is a link to the book:

http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.c ... tions2.htm
Slacker......
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Darryl - sure, yours sounds good too, but mine comes with an actual professional finisher, in powdered form. You simply add shellac, some rottenstone, a little water, sugar,spice, stir, and she comes to glorious life and steps you through each procedure.
Top that!! :-)
Dave B
In case anyone wonders yes, that was my attempt at humor...
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Dave...what do I stir into that to get a sunburst?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Tony - I'm happy with a great finish :-)
Dave
John S

Post by John S »

Couldn't agree more about Jeff Jewitt's book/DVD and in dealing with him on the phone. He was incredibly helpful and patient in answering my novice questions. Set me up with a nice gun that works great with my small compressor.

John