Sanding Through Lacquer

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
klooker

Sanding Through Lacquer

Post by klooker »

This should be a straight forward question.

If you sand through lacquer, do you have to seal it again before putting on more lacquer?

Thanks,
Kevin Looker
Darryl Young

Re: Sanding Through Lacquer

Post by Darryl Young »

I really shouldn't answer this since I've not yet finished my first guitar. If the sealer isn't perfectly clear and you re-coat with lacquer and no sealer, that spot will look different than the surrounding area so may have a different tint or just reflect light differently so it stands out. So I would be afraid to.....but what do I know??? <smile>
Slacker......
michaeld

Post by michaeld »

I recently sanded through the lacquer and sealer on maple sides (no pore filler or stain used). I resprayed the lacquer without applying any sealer. The sand-through is completely invisible and the finish looks great.

Mike
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Not to worry --- the "lacquer" sealer is most likely just lacquer with more solids -- at any rate, the sand through will not show. The great thing about the nitro lacquer "systems" is that each coat is chemically compatible and they "burn-in" to form more or less a single layer. However, if you used shellac as a sealer that would have tinted the light color wood and may cause a problem. (I never use shellac for that very reason!!)
Last edited by kencierp on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

agree that your should be fine.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com