Deft Nitro Lacquer Questions

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
klooker

Deft Nitro Lacquer Questions

Post by klooker »

I've started the finishing process of my first build - a Martin Dred kit.

First question:
How long should I let it cure before I start the final sanding/polishing?

Second question:
Isn't lacquer resistant to alcohol? I tried to clean a spot on the binding with some denatured alcohol after I sealed & sprayed a couple of coats of Deft on the back & sides. My alcohol rag rubbed against the side a little & the lacquer looked like it was starting to come off. On this rare occasion I was paying close attention so I immediately stopped. I gently dried the area then hit it lightly with a Scotch Brite & it appears ok. The lacquer had only cured for about 12 hours when this happened. Does this sound normal?

Kevin Looker
tippie53

Re: Deft Nitro Lacquer Questions

Post by tippie53 »

lacquer takes a few weeks to cure. In most cases I find 3 weeks to allow a good cure time. Patience is one of the secrets to a good finish. It is not normal for alcohol to affect lacquer but within 12 hours the lacquer may be reacting to the water in the alcohol.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Re: Deft Nitro Lacquer Questions

Post by kencierp »

Nitro Lacquer is only alcohol "resistant" not alcohol "proof" ---- as a matter of fact lacquer thinner contains methanol --- AKA - alcohol. So even after curing alcohol can etch and soften the surface. Naphtha is better choice for clean-up.