application of epoxy as filler

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
John S

Re: application of epoxy as filler

Post by John S »

I lied about the size (funny, I've been accused of that before), the ones I use are actually 4" x 2.75".

As you can see from link Ken posted above, they come in different sizes. I think I tried a smaller size, but like this one the best. I get mine from a local automotive supply store that has a good refinishing section.

IMHP these are easier to work with than credit cards. My experience, limited to mahogany and rosewood, has been that I need 2-3 applications of Z-poxy to get good pore filling. I clean the squeegee with denatured alcohol after a coat and re-use it on the next one.

Z-poxy really is great for popping the grain. One of the things I learned from Todd Stock's videos is that you don't want or need to flood the surface with a lot of resin-- a little goes a long way. Although Z-poxy is not red-flagged as being particularly noxious, it's always a good idea to protect yourself from fumes. I wear a mask with organic vapor filters and make sure the ventilation is good.

John
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

"Auto Value Parts Store" has them ---- scraping filler with CC "in my opinion" is perhaps the worst finishing advice offered. The scraper should have some flex -- I have used a shower squeegee and that works well. BTW this little rubber scrapper is what I use to clean the surface when wet sanding. Scrape and then wipe -- "OFTEN"
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

kencierp wrote:" scraping filler with CC "in my opinion" is perhaps the worst finishing advice offered.
Makes em stick in the ATMs afterwards too.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Using an old Credit card doesn't do a bad job and you don't scrap with it , you use it to smoosh it into the pores. the key is to get the filler into the pores. . In all this is a prep part and it is the foundation to your finish. No matter what filling method you use , you have to get the pores filled. A level surface makes for a good finish.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

I've used zpoxy and sealed it with shellac then overcoated with nitro without any problem. But have ran into problems using polymerized tung oil over zpoxy without sealing. Others have had the same problem using True Oil over zpoxy. Other than that I love zpoxy ,fills well, bring out the grain and fairly easy to use .
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

John Hall --- smooshing the filler into the pores is a great visual!! I believe pore filling failures many times are the result of improper "excess" removal --- process rather then product problem.

TW
Can you please supply the links to the Tom West photo gallery of completed guitars and your website -- Thanks
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I agree here with you Ken . Getting the filler into the pores is key . This is a case of now what you put on but what you let on. This is why I say do it till it looks good then do it 2 more times. If you are going to finish a guitar ,your prep is the key to what it looks like.
I did go back to Pore o Paq as my technique works well with that material . I don't think one is necessarily better than another , it is what you can do with the product you are using. Find what works for you .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com