Using Nitrocellulose Guitar Lacquer anywhere near your home

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
JJDonohue

Re: Using Nitrocellulose Guitar Lacquer anywhere near your h

Post by JJDonohue »

When I decided to stop spraying lacquer I found a body shop owner who would spray for me. I would then take the guitar home and let it degass in the garage for a month before going through the wet sanding process. I'd return to the shop and have him spray it a 2nd and 3rd time. It worked out for awhile and I was able to keep the house from exploding. In the meantime, I convinced the body shop owner to seriously consider spraying guitars for builders for a living. Within the following year, he sold the body shop and started a new finishing operation under the name, Sunset Guitars. The owner was Joe White and the rest is history.

I only mention this because there are body shops that would probably be happy to do this for you as well. Just buy your own lacquer and give them a few bucks for their effort. Consider it another alternative when we don't have our own safe explosion-proof spray booth.
johnnparchem

Re: Using Nitrocellulose Guitar Lacquer anywhere near your h

Post by johnnparchem »

Finding an auto body shop is an interesting thought as I also have been thinking of the spray rooms that the body shops have. There is shop outside of Seattle that paints custom motorcycle parts, so they always deal with bunches of different sized parts.
I am close to finishing the spraying of my daughters Les Paul kit. It is a bit funky as I am now in the far corner of the garden spaying on top of a piece of cardboard. It may be the last time I spray nitrocellulose lacquer from rattle cans. For the D28 I am working on I will go back to french polish. I love the smell my french polished classical guitar. I did consider sending the D28 out for finishing but decided that as a hopefully long term hobbyist I will work through all of the steps. In my case I enjoy the process, the guitar at the end is a bonus.