Pore Filling -- SO SIMPLE EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!!

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
kencierp

Re: Pore Filling -- SO SIMPLE EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT!!

Post by kencierp »

Please re-read above.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I just ordered a quart of this filler to try it. I am anxiously optimistic! Erick there told me his Magna Shield lacquer is way better than Behlens for the guitar......
Ken, what do you think?

Kevin
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I wish I could help you out, but I have not used that product -- these days I am really liking the convenience of rattle cans. I believe Mega Shield is only available in one and five gallon containers. Did Eric mention any musical instrument makers that are using it?
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Ken, what do you clean your brush with between coats of the wood filler? I've never brushed a lacquer product.
Also, to get the sequence or schedule right, here's what I've read, so please correct me as I'm about to try this later next week and am excited about it.

Behlen's Aerosol vinyl sealant (to prevent the b&s woods from getting into the top's wood
Hood product's lacquer wood filler (around 3-4 coats, possibly two slightly heavy ones followed by a thinner one, not sanded back to bare wood)
Behlen's Aerosol lacquer finish - do you have a suggestion as to how many coats?
Also, for the Behlen's products, do you have a vendor to recommend. I priced both of them at Amazon and they're way over $5 a can (more than double).

Pore filling has whipped my butt, and I really want to make this succeed.
Thanks for your discovery of this Ken.
Bob

edit: Got them for less than $5 a can thru Amazon. My bad.
Last edited by naccoachbob on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I wrap my brush tightly in foil between coats

Clean with lacquer thinner -- for that I use the stuff from Home Depot

You do have to take care not to use too many coats -- there is silica in the formula -- so if there is too much on the surface it can get a bit cloudy -- I did not find this to be a negative.

I now use Watco gloss not Behlens

Do not use sanding sealer -- Mohawk or Behlens vinyl sealer is recommended.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Perhaps this is not the right place for this comment --

By and large the reason the pore filling process seems to fail is because the almost inevitable bit of shrink back occurs -- thus some shallow pore detents will appear. This is normal -- the key then is to apply plenty of finish -- wet coats, waiting the prescribed time between coat allowing the product to gas off. not apply too many coats in one day (the manufacturer will usually mention this on the label) While the sound-board should not be over loaded 8-12 coats. there is no reason for not using a lot of material for the back and sides. Let the finish cure about twice as long as recommended -- At this point pores are totally a non-issue you'll be able to easily flat level and polish out.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Ken and I agree with this , in essence it isn't so much what you put on but what you let on . The key is to allow the cure time so the shrink back occurs before you work the finish down . Too often finishes don't look as good as they could , not because of the material but the lack of patience of the operator .
FINISH IS ALL ABOUT PREP AND PATIENCE most good finish guys spend as much time on the prep and finish as the building time .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com