Spot fixing sand-through patches

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
MKlee

Spot fixing sand-through patches

Post by MKlee »

Is there a way to spot fix areas that were accidentally sanded through? I'm VERY happy with the final finish on the body of my guitar but have 2 small spots that apparently sanded through. They won't polish and I didn't even notice them until I did my final polishing steps.

Is it possible to fix them without re-finishing the whole body? I used rattle cans (Behlen's) for all my coats but was considering brushing on a couple coats and wet sanding. Any advice?
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa
kencierp

Re: Spot fixing sand-through patches

Post by kencierp »

Nitro lacquer is very user friendly relative to application and spot repairs. Make sure the surface is free of polishing compound etc. Clean it with naphtha. Scuff the entire area with 320 paper -- clean again. Use your spray cans don't mess with a brush at this point. Now its just a matter of spraying the cut through spot -- heavy on the damage and feathering out in all directions from the damage. Apply a few coats in the manner -- Remember the repair needs to cure for just as long as the original finish. Once cured use your same level and polish schedule.
MKlee

Post by MKlee »

Thanks Ken, for the help.

Do you think it would be BAD to brush the finish on? The only reason I was leaning this way was b/c the spots were small (about the size of a quarter) and I could control the application a lot better. Also, I'm out of spray and will need to order more online (and delay another week).

If I did brush on, would you cut the lacquer with anything, and how much?

I certainly don't want to do ANYTHING to adversely affect the finish at this point. I'm extremely happy with the rest of it and I'm willing to wait for the spray if it makes much of a difference.

Thanks again,
Mark
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I do not recommend that you brush on the coating -- not to be a "smart ass" but you have already ruined the finish --- trying to isulate a repair is what will make it stand out -- the feathering techinque is how it is done to make your repair invisible. Bite the bullet and be prepared to do more waiting, leveling and polishing.
$.02
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

ditto to what Ken said. The secret to a good finish is prep and patience . Both are difficult to master but well worth the effort .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MKlee

Post by MKlee »

Thanks guys, I found a Woodcraft that had a can in stock and I'll start spraying tonight. Any thoughts on how many coats?
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I like to lay out .016 of fresh lacquer. I would do at least 5-6 coats then sand back
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com