Danish Oil for necks

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Tony_in_NYC

Danish Oil for necks

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I am considering using some Danish Oil for the neck on the two guitars I am working on. Does anyone have any experience with using it? I want the neck to be easy to slide your hand around on and lacquer can feel sticky when you get a bit sweaty. Tru-Oil is an option as well, but I think Danish Oil is more durable. Key word being "think" as I do not know if it is more durable or not. Advice there would be good too!
Thanks in advance,

Tony
Darryl Young

Re: Danish Oil for necks

Post by Darryl Young »

I have no experience to provide on Danish Oil necks.......but I will say if you want a great feeling neck with a finish that will hold up, try KTM-SV. The neck on my guitar feels great!
Slacker......
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Tru-Oil would be a good choice for the neck. Apply the oil and use it to wet sand to create a pore filling slurry. Let it dry and repeat a couple of times until you get a good fill. Then apply a few thin wipe on coats and, when it is at an acceptable level, simply use 0000 steel wool to give it a nice, smooth, fast feel. Tru-Oil provides a really fast feeling neck.
darren

Post by darren »

I've done truoil/steel wool on two necks and really like the feel. easy to apply and repair. Not as much shine on the headstock as I'd like, but that will come with practice, I assume. Don't know about durability vs Danish Oil
Darren
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Danish oil is not meant for building coats, like Tru-oil is. Danish oil i smeant to wipe on a few very thin coats and seal the wood. The more you put on, the gummier it will remain, so I understand. Iw ould use it on furniture, but not on a guitar.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Thanks guys. No danish oil it seems.