When to drop fill?

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: When to drop fill?

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

There you go Mark. Pretty easy wasn't it. I am drop filling a couple of spots right now too. They were filled worm holes that I didn't get completely filled, so I ended up with minor sinks, but easy to remedy this way.

Kevin
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

MKlee wrote:Tried the drop fill process yesterday and it worked like a charm. Thanks, everybody for the input.

I was able to actually hit several spots. let it dry, and then lightly scrape off the excess. When I hit the spot with scotch brite I could not even tell it had been there. I think drop filling could get addictive as it seems to be a great solution to any of the imperfections on the surface.

Still waiting on the weather in Atlanta to start spraying lacquer - looks like it could be a while.
Thats the best thing about nitrocellulose lacquer. It burns into the previous coats and forms one homologous layer. I did a repair on my second guitar about 2 months after is was finished to repair a ding. You would never know it was there. Other finishes do not do this as well but an excellent repair is still possible, just more difficult. Its almost a no brainer with nitro, which I like because I have almost no brains left since I started using it!!
MKlee

Post by MKlee »

Almost seems easier than pore filling? I may not be so anal about the pore filling next time. Might be quicker too.
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa