Rattle can vs Spray gun

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Ben-Had

Rattle can vs Spray gun

Post by Ben-Had »

I've got a headstock to refinish and I want to use a rattle can. For those of you that have used both can you tell me compared to a spray gun does a can generally apply:

more,
less or
the same

amount of finish on the surface.

Thanks, Tim B
Tim Benware
tippie53

Re: Rattle can vs Spray gun

Post by tippie53 »

you can't compare them. The cans are thinned a good bit and you can't control the mix or air but you can over spray as it isn't so much what you put on as what you let on. Sometimes though you may get bubbles in the finish so be careful. Light coats about every hr should work
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Ditto -- John

I would stress however that light coats does not mean misty dry coats. You must wet the surface -- light to the extent that there are no drips or runs. I had one guy tell me he applied 12 or 16 coats of lacquer and could not understand why his finish looked like crap, to me the pictures he posted looked as though he did not have enough finish at all -- so it comes out in the email exchange that he used about two cans --- not good! It will take four to six cans to get a nice workable finish. $.02
Last edited by kencierp on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

what ken said , you want to see the layer appear wet , it takes a while to master how far to hold the can and how fast you need to move . You will get there take your time , it isn't so much what you put on but what you let on
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

tippie53 wrote:what ken said , you want to see the layer appear wet , it takes a while to master how far to hold the can and how fast you need to move . You will get there take your time , it isn't so much what you put on but what you let on
I "let on" too much, lol. Got a small run on the bottom. Definitely sprays different. I think I had distance right but on the second pass I think I slowed my movement down just a little too much. Shouldn't be hard to fix. Thanks for the advice.

Tim B
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you be welcome
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Four coats and all's well. Build is looking good. Think I got this down. Thanks again guys.

Tim B
Tim Benware