Tru-oil Application

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
deadedith

Re: Tru-oil Application

Post by deadedith »

Okay, after doing a few guitars with tru-oil and experimenting a bit, I am very pleased, just using: tru-oil, naptha, sandpaper and paper towels, some cotton balls.

This INCLUDES pore filling that is always a perfect match, because you use the finish sanded into the wood as the pore filler.. And it is all pretty easy, you don't need a booth or a respirator.
It still takes a lot of patience, but if you are in a hurry then maybe you should wait until you calm down :-) That is from experience...

I'm letting the red oak cure for a week or so, then will do the leveling and polishing and post the results. It will not be as eye-popping as Caspar (a pox be on him :-)) but it should show that tru-oil, even in the hands of an amateur (me) is a viable method of finishing.

DaveB
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I contacted Birchwood-Casey about the Kinkead method of micro-meshing bare wood to 12,000 grit and whether that could cause adhesion problems. I got this response:

David,
Thank you for your note.
Sanding the guitar down, to a very fine grit, will not create any adhesion problems with the Tru-oil.

Let us know how it turns out.
Best regards,

Rya Getty

Customer Service, Sporting Goods
Birchwood Casey
7900 Fuller Rd
Eden Prairie, MN 55344 USA
Telephone: 800-328-6156 X7916

I have a walnut/englemann I'm about to finish sanding - I believe I will try- on a scrap - the Kinkead method and see what's what. I will porefill with tru-oil/naptha slurry before sanding.

DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

God speed Dave B. And may the force be with you.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Which side of the force, Darth? :-)
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Whichever one gets the job done young padawan.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Hear you I do.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

deadedith wrote:Hear you I do.

The force is strong with this one. You must have lots of those thingies (technical Jedi term) in your blood that make you have more "Force" than normal people. I have lots of thingies in my blood too, but mostly they resemble alcohol molecules and nicotine.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Actually I have warrior blood, I'm winning, that's a type of force :-)
As a recovering alocholic - sober since 1985! - no alcohol in the blood, but a couple times a week some good cigar nicotine finds its way in and what a joy it is..
DaveB
Tongue in cheek, that was..
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Congrats on the warrior blood and all of the winning you are doing!!
I feel I should point out though, that actual recovering alcoholics might not find your joke about being one funny. Just sayin'.

FYI: I understand that DaveB was actually joking about the warrior blood and the winning, but was serious about the recovery part. I have a finely tuned sense of humor and can detect a joke a mile away. In the rain. Underwater. Yeah. Its that good.
LOL
Congrats on the recovery sir. 26 years and no booze is something to be proud of. Sorry to hear about the lack of Jedi thingies though. Thats a real bummer. This picture might cheer you up:

Yeah...its a Death Star and its a watermelon. Sweet.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

My new wallpaper, that is!