TruOil on a Mahogany Neck. I did something right. Wish I knew what I did!

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Srick

TruOil on a Mahogany Neck. I did something right. Wish I knew what I did!

Post by Srick »

So I’m getting further on in my first build - a StewMac OM kit with mahogany neck and rosewood back and sides.

I am gobsmacked by what happened today while finishing the neck. The mahogany neck in the kit has a lot of open grain, (ie. It’s not old growth) and I worried a bit about making it smooth. I followed the typical prep and shellac regimen. Then, as a pore filler, I used Gluboost Fill and Finish. Interesting stuff - I had to do a LOT of sanding post application, but it works as advertised.

My Truoil was delivered yesterday evening, and so this morning, I applied the first coat. After all I have read, I thought I’d be in it for the long haul. I had read many posts saying, “The more the better! Plan on 20 coats!” Well, even with one coat, the neck looks beautiful and feels great - exactly the way I wanted it to come out. There are a few pores in evidence, but that doesn’t bother me. At this rate, just two or three coats may be all I need. I have no idea why I hit it out of the park, but who cares!*

The body has been pore filled with Aquacoat and will be French polished. I wish it was a straightforward as the neck.

Rick

*I suspect it was the Gluboost.
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
Srick

Re: TruOil on a Mahogany Neck. I did something right. Wish I knew what I did!

Post by Srick »

Just went through my micromesh pads… even better. Can’t wait to get the next coat on.
And you know there's a YouTube video of a guy in Mexico who builds a guitar only using a machete, right?
JLT

Post by JLT »

I've always used Tru-Oil on the necks of my instruments. I've found that four or five coats seems to be enough. The trick really is to allow it to cure fully, so I give it a week before I handle it.
Alady

Post by Alady »

JLT wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:53 pm I've always used Tru-Oil on the necks of my instruments. I've found that four or five coats seems to be enough. The trick really is to allow it to cure fully, so I give it a week before I handle it.
Tru-Oil is good for guitar. Its unique blend of linseed and other natural oils dries fast.