Shop Fox buffing arbour question

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Stray Feathers

Shop Fox buffing arbour question

Post by Stray Feathers »

I bought a Shop Fox arbour and a 1/3 hp 1725 rpm motor to drive it. The triple pulley on the arbour would allow me to slow the speed quite a lot. The booklet says not to use wheels larger than 10" on it. But I seem to recall reading here that some use 12" wheels successfully/safely. The helpful fellow at Caswell's Canadian branch said a lot of their luthier customers use the 12" Canton vented wheels and I am inclined to go with that (two on each end) unless it's not a good idea with this machine. Any experience out there?
MaineGeezer

Re: Shop Fox buffing arbour question

Post by MaineGeezer »

I expect the only issue is lack of power to drive the larger wheel. Increasing the diameter by 2" means you're using a longer arm to apply torque. You may need to use a lighter touch on the wheel so it doesn't bog down, but if others are doing it successfully, odds are you can too.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I have the Shop Fox arbor with a 1/2 hp motor, and I use 12" buffs and it works great. I have it on the slowest speed/pully.

You are going to like it!!
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Thanks to you both for replies. MaineGeezer, I had the same thoughts as you, but was hoping I could make it work. Kevin, I re-read the thread describing your setup, which was partly what got me leaning to using the larger wheels offered by Caswell, so I am glad you weighed in. My motor is only 1/3 hp (recommended by Shop Fox) but John Hall says he runs one with a 1/4 hp motor (perhaps with smaller wheels? not sure . . . ) And I am planning to run it at lower speeds, certainly until I get a little experience. I realize, too, the 12" wheel will run faster than a 10" at the buffing edge. There is a helpful YouTube video showing Robbie O'Brien buffing with large wheels on a homemade setup. The interesting thing is he allows the belt to be quite slack, so if you expect too much of it, the belt just slips and the wheel stops. I kind of like that safety valve. I went ahead and ordered four 12" Canton wheels from Caswell Canada, what they call vented wheels, a rake to prepare the wheels as described by Brian Howard, and their recommended fine and extra-fine white sticks, designed for acrylics but recommended for lacquer on wood too. Now I have to figure out a base, which in my crowded shop will have to be bench-clampable or something I think. Bruce W.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes I run larger wheels and set up with a slip pully
Sounds like a live feed topic
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yep I have my belt pretty loose too, just the weight of the motor pulling down. (motor mounted to a hinged base)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes that is how I have mine set up
they are buffers not grinders
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Here is my finished product, after a hiatus to sell my wife's business, and put together a new workbench and vise. I used a tool stand from Shop Fox that is quite narrow to mount it on. I replaced the "butcher block finish" particle board top with two pieces of 5/8 plywood glued together. This is quite similar to one I found online by a luthier named Brad Lowe, and I looked at others too. To start I will use it with the motor behind and quite high, using the quite short belt supplied by Shop Fox. I have only just run it a little, and it seems fine and stable, but the motor does kick a little on startup. I can un-build it and modify it to put the motor below if necessary, or modify the height (which was just a guess). When the weather warms up a little I can get back to outdoor spraying and try this buffer out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I recently put one of these together, I first tried a 1/2 hp motor and it would stall out with 12" buffs. I ended up putting a 1 hp motor on it and it works great!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

1 hp is way too much
I use 1/3 be very careful not to catch an edge
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc