1704 Varnish as a finish for acoustic guitar

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Sunset

1704 Varnish as a finish for acoustic guitar

Post by Sunset »

Hello Members,

Has anyone utilized the 1704 spirit varnish as a complete finish for their acoustic guitar build? I have completed much research on this alcohol based varnish and strongly considering this particular finish. Below is a youtube link that explains how to make this varnish. Appreciate any suggestions
https://youtu.be/g0ewnWaxG-U
phavriluk

Re: 1704 Varnish as a finish for acoustic guitar

Post by phavriluk »

One person's opinion:

If this is an experiment, I urge OP to apply the finish to some pieces of scrap from the materials the guitar is made from, first. I am reluctant to apply any finish to an instrument when I don't know what will happen if I do.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Phavriluk is absolutely right.

I spray nitro or French polish shellac, but I have used Minwax brush on lacquer. It works much like nitro, but without the spray equipment. You definitely need a voc respirator. It flashes off much like nitro, and it leveled easy with wet sanding and dry sanding. It also melts into previously hardened lacquer, just like nitro or shellac. I achieved a thin but strong finish that polished very nicely.

My only gripe is that, for a brush on finish, it doesn't self level. But it only takes 3 coats, 2 hours apart, let it flash off for 24 hours, level and polish. I liked the results. The secret is to brush it on, and no matter how it looks, don't try to make it look neater. Just leave it go.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Sunset

Post by Sunset »

My concern is using the 1704 Varnish on the soundboard. Can anyone tell me if this or any spirit varnish has a dampening effect on the soundboard? Will it have any adverse effect on the sound? Is spirit varnish an acceptable finish particularly for the soundboard?

Thank you
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

There are violin makers who use spirit barnish, and get by. My guess is that it would no worse than polyurethane and not much easier than french polish or oil varnish. Practice on scraps makes sense. Once 1704 recipe hardens probably won't be much of a factor on the soundboard.