1947 000-18 reconstruction

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
tippie53

1947 000-18 reconstruction

Post by tippie53 »

here is a guitar that came into my shop with long sad story. I think there was 27 pieces in the box when I got it. Fortunately most parts were saved. The first thing was a good look over to see what all was wrong with it.
I think it is safe to say there are a few side cracks. The top have a few areas of damage but the splinters were with it. The bridge is missing and the plate was damaged. An X brace is cracked and split. The area under the bridge is damaged.
so First I had to remove the plate and I used the wet sponge technique and had it off in about an hour. The tail block was split but it was clean.
So I started and also made big pieces out of the smaller one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Re: 1947 000-18 reconstruction

Post by tippie53 »

once I started with this the next day was reassembling the damage. I can't get great pics but there are multiple side cracks. I had to get the large side piece set back on the blocks so the side crack aligns to the side without gaps and lifting.
Some of the edges were contaminated so I use tite bond original in some areas , West systems epoxy and Hot hide glue. The test fitting was crucial and once it was set I could reglue. There is about 4 days of work into this project. While this isn't a pristine piece now I think that in the end it will be a great players grade guitar.
Some areas where the cross grain was fractured , they mated well but for insurance I used a back fillet support to tie the structure together. as of this morning the body has strength and stiffness again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the gluing process was simple , I used the #M thin tape to keep the glue mess for getting out of hand. The epoxy takes 24 hrs to set and it wicks well into the wood fibers for a strong bond. HHG was used where the cracks were clean and tight. Tite bond in areas that I needed working time.
Magnets come in handy for clamps. The Fillets were about .025 in thick and to supply a good secure glue area. The tape makes a good cross grain clamp and I can control the match of the edges as best as I can . There is a lot of mold and old water stains on this but the finish repair should get most of that off.
The goal is not to make it look new but we want it as pretty as we can get it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you for posting. I'm very interested in how you handle the rest of the repair.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

at this point I have a few areas that I have to create a patch in. Then it will be surface prep and finish work. This won't be refinished. On these you have to be careful as shellac is not what you want to use. It can be used as a sealer but you can actually do a rubbed lacquer finish not unlike a french polish.
there is a knack to do it and I will post that when we get there. In these old guitars you often find lots of finish contamination. Spraying or brushing finish will drive you nuts if you have silicone on the surface. So when I get to the finish point I will stain and seal any new unfinished wood. Then I will wipe the surface with Lacquer thinner , this is toe clean off the crud and contaminates.
I then prep a small amount for my rub. About 20 % finish 80% thinner Rub it on and let set . I am not expected or desire a perfect finish , just to make this acceptable to its age.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've done a rubbed lacquer finish, and there is a knack to it, for sure. What brand of lacquer do you use?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

minwax from home depot
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have Minwax too. Thanks for telling me the ratio.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

finally got this all done
here are the final pics
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

John

Thanks for showing. Did you take pictures of the area under and around the bridge to show ow you treated the damage there? Thats seems to be the most critical for making the repairs last.

Thanks
Ed
Ed M