Neck reset Yamaha fg 140

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Chardo

Re: Neck reset Yamaha fg 140

Post by Chardo »

Is there a downside to radius sanding the fretboard?
Obviously sanding it down to much could be a problem but how much is to much?
If it's to loud ...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I did it and had no problems with an old guitar. I had to replace the bridge, nut, and saddle, because not only did the fretboard have a radius that needed to be reflected in the nut and saddle, but also it had new frets. The bridge needs to have a radius like the fretboard. If the existing bridge is thick enough, you can sand it, in place, so that reflects the new radius in the board.

Of course, this is a chance to upgrade the whole shebang as well. I replaced the rosewood fretboard on a classical guitar left to me by a family member. The guitar was her most valuable possession, and when she passed away, she left it to me. It was in awful condition. The top wasn't salvageable, so I replaced the top. At the same time I replaced the fretboard with ebony. Although classical guitars traditionally have no fretmarkers, I installed side markers and I decided to do a decorative bas relief with inlay.

I may have posted this picture for some reason in this thread, so if I did, forgive the repeat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

Not looking to change the radius just clean up the wear and tear. I may try Ruby's suggestion and use Frank Fords technique of filling the biggest divots and sanding out the rest.
Thanks
If it's to loud ...