1/4" jack tightening tool

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
ChuckBarnett

1/4" jack tightening tool

Post by ChuckBarnett »

I don't have a great deal of occasion to tighten the nut on 1/4" jacks. But what do you use/recommend? The Jack the Gripper took looks great but seems like too much money to me.

Thanks! :-)
tippie53

Re: 1/4" jack tightening tool

Post by tippie53 »

I use a wrench and to hold the center usually there is a hole you can use a small nail, allen wrench or what ever
not too difficult
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Zublin33

Post by Zublin33 »

Though I dont' have better knowledge using tightening tool. But you can with the tool as the OP said already. All the best!
"A guitar is more than just a sound box... it is part of your soul." - Manuel Velazquez
Editor at https://kitchenlola.com
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

20181014_151030.jpg
I don't see a hole to use a nail or allen wrench. Mebbe we're talking about two different things?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

This looks really straightforward to me. Pull out the two screws, hold the back of the jack securely, and tighten the nut. Then put it back together. That's how the installation was done in the first place. On a good day whoever did the original installation left enough of a service loop in the wiring to allow the jack to be pulled away from the body.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

That's not a typical jack picture. The hard ones are installed through the end block of an acoustic, and for these, the Gripper is a cool tool if you do enough of them. I have never done it myself, but watched my daughter use the Gripper in her shop.

Ed
Ed M
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

phavriluk wrote:This looks really straightforward to me. Pull out the two screws, hold the back of the jack securely, and tighten the nut. Then put it back together. That's how the installation was done in the first place. On a good day whoever did the original installation left enough of a service loop in the wiring to allow the jack to be pulled away from the body.
That solves some confusion, along with what Ed shared. The Gripper isn't designed for solid body electrics but for acoustics, etc.

THANKEE!!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Frank Ford gave me one when he started making them and they do grab this
most jacks come with through holes now
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com