Martin LX1 Neck Questions

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Diane Kauffmds

Martin LX1 Neck Questions

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Someone is bringing me an LX1 that needs a neck reset. I saw it briefly, and the heel has a gap, and the action is high. I looked up the specs, which says that it is mortise and tenon neck, but that's all it says.

Is the neck on an LX1 a bolt on, or dovetail? Are there any special considerations that I need to know about the neck or the LX1, before working on it?

I know it's just a cheap little beater, but it belonged to my friend's father, who passed away about 3 weeks ago. I want to make sure that it's playable and in good condition for her.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: Martin LX1 Neck Questions

Post by tippie53 »

depends on the year
most of the time the glue failed and an easy fix is to take off the plaque on the neck block shoot some steam into that and work new glue in there and tighten the bolt.
Changes are this is an older tenon bolt on neck before they went with the sliding dovetail. Easy fix . Use double stick tape to reset the plaque.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote:depends on the year
most of the time the glue failed and an easy fix is to take off the plaque on the neck block shoot some steam into that and work new glue in there and tighten the bolt.
Changes are this is an older tenon bolt on neck before they went with the sliding dovetail. Easy fix . Use double stick tape to reset the plaque.
Will I have a problem with the HPL being exposed to steam?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I've done a few of the Martin old style mortise and (straight, non-dovetail) tenon joints and a couple of the newer simple dovetail mortise and tenon joints. The older is definitely a bolt-on and could be constructed with just the bolt. The newer is also a bolt-on, but the bolt works against the dovetail. In both cases screwed and glued is most secure -- I would even consider locktite. I just had a bolt rattle out of one of my guitars. Judicious use of steam shouldn't be harmful, I would think. The laminate must be constructed with very durable adhesives. I've handled the HPL but don't have any knowledge of its materials chemistry.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

steam will not harm HPL
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com