Impact crack - Martin OM-21

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
lonecedar959

Impact crack - Martin OM-21

Post by lonecedar959 »

Hello Everyone

I have an OM-21 where another guitar was knocked over and its tuning machine impacted the shoulder and left an ugly crack (see pictures). I have checked with a flashlight and I don't see any crack on the inside of the guitar nor can I see the light coming through the crack.

I thought about using some thin cyanoacrylate and let it run in and then scrape with Frank Fords taped off razor blade trick.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

-Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Impact crack - Martin OM-21

Post by tippie53 »

I recommend you take this to skilled finish guy . You may be able to fix it or make it much worse. You are on the wood so that may show like a black eye if not done right.

I would use a product called GluBoost they have fill and finish CA and dyes to color it for making a good match. You will also need a buffer so you can properly polish this

so A be sure your color match is good , and yes you may start with thin ca. Then use the color finish fill and work up. The accelerator they have is wonderful .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
lonecedar959

Post by lonecedar959 »

Thanks John

I watched the video of using the Gluboost product and I think I can do this.
This is my guitar and I am not going to part with it anytime soon so I am going to give it a try.

The other question I have is should I try to clean it up first (wet sand it maybe ) or just go with the thin CA and start with the gluboost?

Thanks for your help.

-Pat
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I wouldn't wet sand, because you have exposed, unsealed wood. I would put a small amount of thin ca, to stabilize the impact area, then sand. You're going to have to color match it really well, because when you start filling and sanding, you'll sand away even more finish from around the impact area.

If I'm mot mistaken, your guitar is made of EIR. If you have a store, like Woodcraft, that sells exotic woods, you can buy a 3/4" x 12" piece of EIR for just a couple of dollars. What I do to color match, is buy a small piece of wood of the same species. I mix my colors, then put the result on a small area of the wood. When it matches your guitar, you're good to go. Gluboost is fabulous.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com