12 String X Series Custom Repair/ Alternation

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
kelley71

Re: 12 String X Series Custom Repair/ Alternation

Post by kelley71 »

I really only salvaged the neck assembly, tail and neck blocks. I don't want to sound like a guitar snob but I would never pay what Martin wants for a formica guitar. There are better options in that price range. For 500 bucks Blueridge gets my vote.

I ordered B stock wood parts form Martin. I honest don't see why they graded a B. The grain may be be perfectly straight on the EIR. This has to be the most purple rosewood I have ever worked with. It makes a mess sanding for sure.

Is there a trick for keeping celluloid bindings from discoloring? I used Weldon 16. Which btw from plastic supply warehouses you can get cheap. I bought a 5 oz huge tube for 8 bucks compared to the baby small one from LMI for 6.

Overall I enjoyed the salvage project. It is fun to build scratch new but bringing one back to life has it own satisfaction. This was my first time with a J shape, not a very comfortable guitar to play sitting. It changes my shoulder angle. I am a dread guy really but we will see how it sounds. It should be ready to spray next week after the rain clears out of here. As Stevie Ray says ... Its flooding down in Texas....