12 String X Series Custom Repair/ Alternation

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
kelley71

12 String X Series Custom Repair/ Alternation

Post by kelley71 »

Ok,

I picked up an X series 12 string that the top pulled completely off the guitar from the heel to the sundial. The top is toast. The back had 2 hammer sized holes, but the sides are good, neck is perfect.

It was 75.00. What I want to do is re top this and re bottom with solid wood and just use the hpl sides.

What wood would you use for the top? Sitka? Mahogany to tone her down? Cedar? Redwood?

I will use a mahogany back. I figure for about 200.00 I can have a decent 12 string for the house. I have a lot of tortoise binding I can use. I can put some doit makers in the fretboard as well.
phavriluk

Re: 12 String X Series Custom Repair/ Alternation

Post by phavriluk »

Perhaps our OP could drop a dime on Martin and see if there was available a surplused orphaned body (Guitarmaker's Connection). Sure would save a lot of work and the decal could remain on the headstock, with explanation.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have one of these with a sitka top and it is a pretty decent guitar.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

I guess calling Martin might be an option, but where is the fun in that? I am not concerned with the label in the slightest. I just like to tinker.

For 80 bucks I can basically make a new guitar. I have plenty of spare parts. I was just getting opinions on maybe a different soundboard than what came on it.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I don't think you can use binding with those HPL sides.
Tim Benware
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

I will call Martin and ask about surplused bodies.

I might just be keeping the electronics, bridge and neck with tuners and fingerboard and blocks. At this point it would cost that much more to throw a set of sides. At 75.00 its was worth the parts.

Thanks,
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

The Martin bodies are all rejected from production for reasons of workmanship flaws like routing thru the sides or sanding too thin to wood defects such as windbreaks, etc. Ask questions about the specific defect -- the ladies there are great at advising and helping you pick something that matches your needs. If you are handy at repair this becomes a good option. Martin's standards are very high; some of the rejects are 'no-brainers' to fix. Others are quite challenging. Check my post about my first kit; some of the other instruments I completed this past year and pictured in the post are these very same reject bodies.
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Well I called Martin today and the Mexican bodies stay in Mexico. But I ended up buying some B stock wood. I bought a sitka top, and some EIR back and sides. So, now it will be a J-40ish 12 string eventually.
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Well after 2 weeks. I built a new body for this old girl. I had to strip the Martin head plate off the neck. But I built this girl for about 300.00. I used 5/16 non scalloped bracing for the X's, 1/4 inch for everything else. I copied the bridge plate. I was able to salvage the blocks, full complete neck assembly with electronics.

I am getting close to finish. Here is what she looks like. we call her Bertha because this guitar is so huge! 16.25 lower bout, 11.75 upper, and 9.75 waist with dreadnaught depth.

Thanks for the advice guys,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

That looks good! well worth using the salvaged rims and neck.