An interesting guitar repair project

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Bob Gleason

An interesting guitar repair project

Post by Bob Gleason »

Well, this one is not quite as old as John's Martin repair guitar, but it is an interesting one to me. I was contacted by a woman in Calif. who recently had purchased this guitar for $35.00 in a thrift shop. She tracked me down on the net and wanted to know if I remembered it. I made it in 1982 in Washington State, a few years after I started making guitars. It is not numbered, because in those days I thought that numbering was just an uppity guitar snob appeal thing. In fact, my first guitars were not even signed because I also thought it should not matter who made them, and only the sound should matter. Pretty strange ideas!
I ended up having some interesting exchanges with the buyer, and we became friends. Pretty cool. She knew I wanted it back and offered to sell it to me for the original $35.00. Shipping to Hawaii was another $90.00, but worth it to me.
The living##### has been played out of this guitar! The bridge has been on and off a few times at least. A lefty pick guard was added along the way, as well as a slick bartop finish on the top. Many of us like to use clear pick guards, and there are still 2 on this guitar, but here is a clear demo of what happens as the years go by. The clear plastic stops degradation to the finish from the environment, and eventually the top takes on a rather weird appearance. The ebony fretboard is all dug out. A bunch of top cracks and a couple on the back. It has some stories to tell. Most of the folks who have seen it, disparage the people who did this to the instrument. Personally I love knowing that it was played until almost no life was left. That's why we make them, IMHO. After enjoying it in it's present state for awhile, I'll probably take a shot at getting the finish off the top. I don't plan to replace anything. Amazingly, the koa back and sides, and the neck are still in pretty good shape.I'd like to get it playable again, and still retain the flavor of "a life on the road" wherever that was. Lots of fun. An interesting project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: An interesting guitar repair project

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wow Bob that is so cool. That guitar definitely has been "loved". Makes me wonder what some of mine will look like 30 years from now.
Be sure to show us once you have her cleaned up.
John J

Post by John J »

I agree. A guitar played until it's virtually unusable is high compliment! It's the ones nobody plays that make me sad.
Learning every day.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looks to be in great shape still! That is fun to see a guitar that was used instead of hanging on a wall.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Greta story, but one question. If it is un-signed and un-numbered, how did the buyer find you?

Ed
Ed M
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Ed-This one did have my name in it. My first guitars, around 1975-77 did not. After that I signed and dated them and at some point started numbering them. I used to keep records of all that stuff, but some have gone by the wayside along the way. I also went through several business names in the seventies and this is one of the first to have the Pegasus logo on it. I remember that because around 81' I moved back to Washington from Texas and started that logo. Fun to see this one. I like to think my guitars are a little more refined now!