hiding a top crack

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
leon2982

hiding a top crack

Post by leon2982 »

this is an old seagull m6. it had 2 cracks when i bought it that had popped-up about a half-inch on the pick guard side and less on the other side. after humidifying it the cracks dropped down to just a little above the top. i had to glue on a cleat and re-glue a couple top braces and its solid now. this crack here was my very first attempt at repairing a guitar and you can see i have a roughly 1 cm gouge where the worst crack was. and its somewhat darker in the crack. my plan now is to sand the entire top smooth and re coat with satin lacquer but i would like to lighten that crack up if possible to its not the first thing one notices when first seeing the guitar. i have cleaned the crack; maybe could get it a little cleaner. the crack it has a very light coat of amber shellac down in the groove that i thought i might be able to build up a little but it was too dark anyway. under that would be a layer of regular titebond.

so i'm wondering if maybe i could build up the crack with some super glue. or maybe sort of a lacquer drop-line-fill :) ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B. Howard

Re: hiding a top crack

Post by B. Howard »

If it needs filled I would use a burn in stick. Often to hide these type things during a re-finish I will use a graining pen over the sealer to cover the glue lines and make them look like grain again.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
leon2982

Re: hiding a top crack

Post by leon2982 »

thanks for your lacquer stick suggestion. in this case i made some spruce filings, sanding dust i suppose. i worked it into the crack and then carefully flowed-in some CA. then i sanded down the CA; could be better but this is a player for me and i did learn a lot. the lacquer stick (which i ordered from lmi) approach might have ended-up better for me; next time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.