repair a seam separation

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
edbanas

repair a seam separation

Post by edbanas »

I am building a dreadnaught kit I purchased last year from LMI. It is my first build and things have been going as to be expected of a novice. I have been working on the guitar in my basement here in the northeast. I should have increased the humidity in the basement, but I didn't realize that until too late. The spruce top of the guitar appears to be separating along the glue line right down the center. I've included a picture. Although the crack looks terrible, it does not go through the top. It is just on the surface. How can I fill in this crack I've tried to use some fine sawdust with both epoxy and with CA. They both darken the sawdust. Help! The back and sides look so good!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: repair a seam separation

Post by tippie53 »

CA on spruce can stain the top and adding dust can make it worse. I will assume the braces are on? I may be able to help you Call me 570-682-8046
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
edbanas

Post by edbanas »

Mr. Hall - I just got off the phone with you and I feel compelled to thank you again for you kind help. I am not looking forward to having to do the work you said I might have to do, but you have given me the courage to attack the problem head on. I will first try the humidity for a couple of weeks. Maybe things will get better without surgery. Let's hope. Once again, your kindness was much appreciated.

Ed
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

My initial hunch is that the only way to really, truly fix it is to take it apart, re-joint the edges, and re-glue it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
padma

Post by padma »

Ya ...just like the Geezer said.