First repair questions

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
RedCap

First repair questions

Post by RedCap »

Okay, so instead of jumping right into a kit, I decided to take the wise route and get a fixer upper first. It took the form of a Montana cheapo 12 string that I got for the nice low price of free. It does, however have a few umm.... quirks. For one, the frets are shot. Not a good crown on any of them, the bridge has shrunk so much it cracked, and it also crackecracked the binding. The neck, while still stable, has begun to separate at the heel. So basically, new fingerboard and frets, and I believe I have to reset the neck? (first timer, remember.) Also, the intonation is wierd, specifically on the A pair when I try to play a chord. everything else is good. Is the most likely a cause of the crappy frets? Anything else it could be? Will definitely post some pictures after work., thanks, Chad
tippie53

Re: First repair questions

Post by tippie53 »

sounds like a great learning tool. Post some pics and we will be happy to help you on the way
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Post by   »

RedCap wrote:It does, however have a few umm.... quirks. For one, the frets are shot. Not a good crown on any of them, the bridge has shrunk so much it cracked, and it also cracked the binding. The neck, while still stable, has begun to separate at the heel. So basically, new fingerboard and frets, and I believe I have to reset the neck? (first timer, remember.) Also, the intonation is wierd, specifically on the A pair when I try to play a chord. everything else is good.
Thanks, Chad. Now I have a much better understanding of what my wife means when she tells me I have 'quirks.'
RedCap

Post by RedCap »

Alright, here are some attached pictures of the 'quirks' (that one was for you, tommyboy) as far as I can tell, it is a 25.25 scale. I had to measure with a 6 inch machinists rule and some paper, my 16 is at the shop, so I could have been maybe 1/32-1/16 off. the neck is two and a half inches wide at its widest point, which won't be a problem for most fretboard blanks, but I am a little nervous about sawing the frets myself, does anyone know where I could get a pre-slotted fretboard in that scale? ( and does that scale even sound right? ) Sorry if I have a lot of questions. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

looks like the binding is missing so that you have to work on that. If you need to refret you may need to do that first. Also the neck appears loose.
I am not sure what the neck block is I hope it is a dovetail. You may need to steam the neck out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RurSR88jc8s
you can call me if you feel you need to

570-682-8046
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
RedCap

Post by RedCap »

Thank you for the sound advice, so you would recommend just a fingerboard repair and replace the binding? Essentially pull the neck, frets and binding, make sure the rout is clean and staight, new binding, new frets, fill the crack with some rosewood dust and CA, and reset the neck? Great video by the way. You were very thorough. Much better teacher than I am.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yes
don't make the job harder than you need to
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc