Javelin throw el kabong/key crack

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
phavriluk

Re: Javelin throw el kabong/key crack

Post by phavriluk »

Super glue is magic stuff, but first the parts to be glued need to be where they're going to permanently be, 'cause that is where they will be after the glue sets. Forever.

I am offering my own opinion, substantiated by no instrument repairing experience, that the least expensive solution to this problem is to get the instrument to a luthier for an expert's skill and patience. I'm referring to what the instrument will be worth after an amateur repair compared to its value after a professional repair. That spread, I think, is an awful lot more than the dollar cost of a professional repair. And the amateur repair won't be in the owner's face every time he handles the instrument. Lots of peace for the soul in that, I think.
peter havriluk
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I spent a good hour or so yesterday sanding away at the chipped finish. Things don't look quite so bad though I'm wondering how I'll repair the finish afterwards. For now there's still a section that is "sunk" in about 1/32" between the two cracks. It looks to be the point of impact. The problem here is how to get everything flush again?

~ Neil
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

This is where the experience of someone who has made many repairs like this one pays off. Such a person will be able to make the problem of mismatched broken wood go away and in doing so making the repair vastly less invasive.
peter havriluk
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Look at using something like Gear-Up fill and finish. It is a very friendly finishing CA. You can apply it french polish like with a paper towel very thin. Then you can finish sand it level again. You will want to check that the CA does not react weird with the guitars finish. Before filling you might use thin CA to glue under any placed where the finish is not in contact with the wood.

Also you might consider melting on stick shellac. Look at Brian Howard's posts he had some good information.