How to refinish Ibanez ac240

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
watchmanjc

How to refinish Ibanez ac240

Post by watchmanjc »

Geetings, i have a used Ibanez AC240 (all mahogony) that has an open pore finish. It has what looks like stain swirls under the clear coat on the top. Like the stain wasn't wiped clean before the clear was aplied. Question: how would you go about refinshing the top and what materials would you use. I was thinking of using a Minwax Polyshades of Minwax stain and wipe on poly. Thank you for your help.
tippie53

Re: How to refinish Ibanez ac240

Post by tippie53 »

If you want to refinish this you next step is to see id you can discover what it is. I have seen many ruined guitars by a bad refin. If you try sanding it off you can possibly make the top too thin . I would want to identify the finish , and then you may be able to use a thinner to soften the finish to remove.
I have no idea what was used and the term open pore means no filler was used. This could be many things from a wipe on poly to a nitro lacquer.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

It is most likely finished with a conversion varnish, most lower priced imports are. If you wish to re-finish it you will need to strip it either chemically or with a heat gun. Heat guns make me nervous for stripping acoustics due to the potential of loosening glue joints inside the guitar so I would recommend the chemical route. You can use whatever you like to re-finish the top.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Like the others, I'd first figure out what is currently on there and how best to get it off. You'll probably need to use an old-style non-safety deadly lethal chemical stripper. The operative ingredient is usually methylene chloride. Proceed with caution until you determine how the finish is going to respond. You'll probably want to mask off the sides with tape or something similar to protect them from the stripper. Hopefully the rosette won't fall apart on you and the binding won't loosen up.

Once you get the surface prepared, choice of finish is up to you. Personally, I'm partial to shellac, either applied as French polishing or simply brushed on and rubbed down between coats with 0000 steel wool, then finished with a coat of paste wax. Shellac has the definite advantage that it's easy to take off if you need to remove it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
watchmanjc

Post by watchmanjc »

After reading everyones posts and taking another long look at the top. I noticed the surface was rough where I thought stain swirls were under the finish coat. I took some 0000 steal wool and lightly went over the effected area's. Problem solved! I asume or guess the top was not buffed completely after the clear coat was applied if indeed that is part of the process. THANK YOU All.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JA ... .jpg[/img][/url]