Tinting lacquer for a restoration of an old Martin 00-18

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
btberlin

Tinting lacquer for a restoration of an old Martin 00-18

Post by btberlin »

I have a Martin 00-18 made in the late 1950's (which my parents bought for me, used -- sit down for this - for $59). It now has the Martin pick-guard cracks in the top. So, I purchased an authentic Martin pick guard to replace it. After repairing the cracks, i intend to spray nitrocellulose over the repairs, level and polish. But, while i am at it, i'd like to drop-fill some chips on the top, and scratches on the rim and back. The top is spruce, but of course it has a delicious amber-orange aged look. I'd like some advice about tinting nitro to match the aged spruce. Or, would i do just as well using a base of amber shellac, and then clear nitro? There is also a dirty area on the edge of the soundhole, where finger dirt has stained the wood, and the finish is gone. Thoughts on cleaning up the dirt? I was thinking of something like K2R spray upholstery cleaner, which takes grease out of paper and such very nicely. Other ideas? Perhaps a poultice of talc powder and acetone? I'd like to avoid sanding the dirty area as that will create a slight dip.

thanks for any advice.
bert
B. Howard

Re: Tinting lacquer for a restoration of an old Martin 00-18

Post by B. Howard »

For cleaning away the dirt try wood bleach, it should be available at your local hardware store. Color matching touch ups is more art than science. I usually work with a piece of glass as a pallette cutting together a small amount of lacquer and dyes to get the shad I need. The glass will let light through so when you smear the dyed lacquer out thin you can see the color and hold it beside what you are matching and get a good idea of how close it is. This works for small drop fills right off the pallette but if you need a larger quantity you will need to mix in a container and periodically place a smear on the glass to check it.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
btberlin

Post by btberlin »

Sorry. I should have been clearer. What dyes are compatible with nitro? I've never worked with it out of a can before -- only in aerosols already tinted. I have a considerable amount of overprint dye that I use to warm up water base varnish. I'm looking for something like that for nitro.

Bert
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Lot's of guys like the transtint stuff. I use Behlen's Solar-lux. Both are compatible with lacquers.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

B. Howard wrote:Lot's of guys like the transtint stuff. I use Behlen's Solar-lux. Both are compatible with lacquers.
+1 Behlen's
Tim Benware
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Rather than put a colored finish on, you might try to color the wood first. Here is my daughter giving a lesson on this for Dan Erlewine. She also treats the rash.

Ed
Ed M
btberlin

Post by btberlin »

Wow - thank you so much for this. Years ago, i used a wood aging preparation to artificially oxidize an oak veneer that i used to restore an old Singer Sewing machine work table top, but, it never even occurred to me to use the same technique on the guitar. Probably different chemistry for oak, so i will try to find a source of potassium permanganate for the spruce. I think I have some oxalic acid in the basement somewhere - it is used as a bleach for deck planks. Great video.

Poking around with Google for a source of less than 10 lbs of permanganate i noticed that it is apparently used in Koi tanks to purify the water. So, later today, i'm off to the Tropiquarium store nearby to see if they have it in 1 oz amounts.

Bert
btberlin

Post by btberlin »

KMnO4 is used to clean the water in Koi Tanks. My local tropical fish dealer doesn't have any though. I found a source of a couple of ounces on Amazon (about $9 with shipping from CA), and later after i ordered it, a source on EBay with free shipping - an ounce for $3.99. See link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potassium-Perma ... 2ec2ae2a8e

I'm excited to try this! It'll be nice to have my old 00-18 looking pretty again.

BTW - I've watched some of the tips that Dan Erlewine and others have posted on the Stewmac site. Very helpful ideas. References to any other videos on top repairs, finish touch-ups and so on welcomed. I also took the Martin factory tour a couple of years ago, and watched the drop fill person do touch-ups to new finishes. Very helpful.

bert