Bridge removal

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
LaurentB

Bridge removal

Post by LaurentB »

Hi everyone,

It's been a time since I posted here after my Stewmac kit guitar was finished.

I have another project now:

I recently bought a 40 year old Yamaha FG-230 12 string for little money; It sounds great, but I had spotted the small gap at the back of the bridge however, so that obviously had to be reglued, and I liked undertaking a project like this.

However, after having removed the bridge, it has become apparent that actually not the glue but a layer of the wood had come loose as well:

http://iplayguitaronline.files.wordpres ... moval2.jpg

I wondered how to repair this, any suggestions?

Laurent
tippie53

Re: Bridge removal

Post by tippie53 »

make a plastic plate or at least a wood one with a wax paper separator. work glue well into the separation. Here the best glue would be Hot Hide or fish glue as it can be made to be thin to really soak in. If you use tite bond ORIGINAL work the glue well into the layer of wood and use a thin knife.
Also make a cawl to fit under the top and clamp. This will flatten the top . Once you have that done you can assess the top. If you need to do more you can then rout the top under the bridge to good wood and place a filler.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
LaurentB

Post by LaurentB »

tippie53 wrote:make a plastic plate or at least a wood one with a wax paper separator. work glue well into the separation. Here the best glue would be Hot Hide or fish glue as it can be made to be thin to really soak in. If you use tite bond ORIGINAL work the glue well into the layer of wood and use a thin knife.
Also make a cawl to fit under the top and clamp. This will flatten the top . Once you have that done you can assess the top. If you need to do more you can then rout the top under the bridge to good wood and place a filler.
Thanks for your quick reply!

I don't quite understand the last sentence though: "If you need to do more you can then rout the top under the bridge to good wood and place a filler."

You mean if I'd have to remove the loose part of wood? And with what do I fill it then, with another piece of wood?
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

LaurentB wrote:
tippie53 wrote:make a plastic plate or at least a wood one with a wax paper separator. work glue well into the separation. Here the best glue would be Hot Hide or fish glue as it can be made to be thin to really soak in. If you use tite bond ORIGINAL work the glue well into the layer of wood and use a thin knife.
Thanks for your quick reply!

I don't quite understand the last sentence though: "If you need to do more you can then rout the top under the bridge to good wood and place a filler."

You mean if I'd have to remove the loose part of wood? And with what do I fill it then, with another piece of wood?
It's unlikely you'll need to do that if you follow John's instructions. I just completed a similar repair on a Yamaha and it flattened out perfectly and I have done several others the same way on Yamaha's with laminated tops without having to shave the top at all. If after you remove the clamps and cauls it is NOT flat with the rest of the top revisit his instructions on that part.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

sometimes the area is so bad you need to rout some under the bridge and glue in a new piece of spruce to make a solid footing for the bridge
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
LaurentB

Post by LaurentB »

Ah, I understand what you mean now, thanks!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you are most welcome
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
LaurentB

Post by LaurentB »

Ok, I ran into a problem: because this bridge has kind of a slanted top, clamping makes it slide forward after I've glued it to the top. Had to remove the bridge AGAIN :-(

Any good tricks to prevent this from happening? I was thinking of putting some bridge pins in through the holes, but wouldn't they get glued tight as well then? I have some old ugly ones, perhaps I could use those and drill them out later?
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Hot hide glue does not creep like Titebond and other PVA's. A little harder to use but it is well worth it!
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

A setup like this will work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware