Mandola Split

Even if it ain't broke you can still fix it.
Zen

Mandola Split

Post by Zen »

Sorry for bad quality pics here guys but just wondering what your opinions are regarding what is best way to repair this split side on a Mandola.bouzouke type instrument. the crack runs along the side at about the same level as the kerfing or slightly above so I'm wondering if trying to get cleats in there would be futile considering the size of the soundhole--small. Second question is can I use Titebond original as its all I have right now.
As always thanks again for all your help and support this far.
Rusty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUSTY
Zen

Re: Mandola Split

Post by Zen »

Runningdog wrote:Splits along the edge of the kerfing are tough to fix well, even when you can get your hand through the soundhole.

I'm going to make a guess that this isn't the world's finest mandola; it certainly isn't a vintage instrument. So ... not what I'd do under different circumstances but ...

If you can align the edges and clamp the crack closed, I'd hit the outside with thin super glue, make sure it wicks into the crack (but doesn't run all over the inside of the instrument), and let dry. CA glue does a good job on rosewood and can be scraped/sanded/buffed to hide the crack.

This isn't the best repair technique but it may be the best choice for this one. If someone has a better idea, go for it!

Thanks for reply Runningdog. Any particular reason for superglue as opposed to the old favorite titebond. ? The mandola has been well hacked about sure enough, although its not a cheapie, but the owner is not too bothered about the cosmetics at this stage. The crack can actually be prized open quite a bit to get whatever glue I eventually decide on, but was that the reason you suggested superglue so that it wicks in better to cracks than yellow glue ? I Now that you mention it I do have some brown superglue from stewmac that I never opened so that might work. Thanks again.
RUSTY