www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:38 pm 

Is there a downside to radius sanding the fretboard?
Obviously sanding it down to much could be a problem but how much is to much?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:11 am 

I did it and had no problems with an old guitar. I had to replace the bridge, nut, and saddle, because not only did the fretboard have a radius that needed to be reflected in the nut and saddle, but also it had new frets. The bridge needs to have a radius like the fretboard. If the existing bridge is thick enough, you can sand it, in place, so that reflects the new radius in the board.

Of course, this is a chance to upgrade the whole shebang as well. I replaced the rosewood fretboard on a classical guitar left to me by a family member. The guitar was her most valuable possession, and when she passed away, she left it to me. It was in awful condition. The top wasn't salvageable, so I replaced the top. At the same time I replaced the fretboard with ebony. Although classical guitars traditionally have no fretmarkers, I installed side markers and I decided to do a decorative bas relief with inlay.

I may have posted this picture for some reason in this thread, so if I did, forgive the repeat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:46 pm 

Not looking to change the radius just clean up the wear and tear. I may try Ruby's suggestion and use Frank Fords technique of filling the biggest divots and sanding out the rest.
Thanks