Inexpensive source of carbon fiber rods

Who doesn't like a bargain?
MaineGeezer

Inexpensive source of carbon fiber rods

Post by MaineGeezer »

I found this place on the Internet while I was looking for places to get carbon fiber rods for neck reinforcement.

http://dragonplate.com

For example, LMI charges $21.68 for a piece 1/8" x1/2" x 18", a bit over $1.20 per inch. Dragon Plate charges $12.74 for a piece 1/8" x 1/2" x 48", about $0.265 per inch. less than a fourth of LMI's price.

Dragon Plate does have a $30 minimum order, but that is not particularly difficult to manage. Their rods have a smooth surface. Dragon Plate recommends scuffing the surface with coarse sandpaper prior to gluing.

Shipping was reasonably quick and easy.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Inexpensive source of carbon fiber rods

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow, that's a great deal. Thank you for posting the information.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for that info
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I tried gluing some. Dragonplate recommends 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive EC-2216. I used some Loctite marine epoxy I happened to have on hand, gluing the end of a carbon fiber rod into a slot in a small chunk of red oak flooring. After the epoxy hardened I held the rod and beat on the block with a hammer until it broke, but the bond to the carbon fiber rod remained secure.

Conclusion: I suspect any good epoxy will work, certainly well enough for our purposes.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion