Top questions - first build

Tops only
Morecowbell

Re: Top questions - first build

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks again for the advice and perspective (and patience)! At my age/experience I should probably know better but its really fun to explore the possibilities. Spruce it is!!

Now, what variety? There's Adirondack, Sitka, Englemann, Lutz....hey, is that a squirrel?!?

P.S. Sitka from ASW
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Since I live in Maine I'm partial to native red (adirondack) spruce, which may be as good a reason as any to choose one variety of spruce over another. They all make good guitar tops. There is, I assume, some difference in the sound. I've used only red spruce for the three guitars I've made, so I can't make any personal comparisons. I do have a sitka top blank. If the "tap test" is anything to go by -- and with a rough-sawn over-thickness top it probably isn't -- it ought to make a great-sounding guitar. It may not sound quite the same as a guitar with a red spruce or other variety of top, but it should sound good.

I suspect the quality of your workmanship will have a much greater influence on the final sound than the type of spruce you choose.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."

Oh my, made my day - thanks!!

:-)
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Glad you like it. Now that you call my attention to them, it reminds me that I've had those sayings posted for quite a while. It's probably time to rotate in a few new words of wisdom
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion