installing shell purfling

Tops only
PSmill

installing shell purfling

Post by PSmill »

Hi, Was looking for advice on instlalling abalone purfling on a uke. The best method seems to be to use the silicone filler strips to install the binding / purfling comb all at once (with the filler in place of the purfling) then once dry pull the purfling and replace with the abalone pieces. I can't find the silicone strips in Canada and Stewmac has them but just in one size which differs from my abalone width. Any suggestions on other methods? I am using a plastic binding. Thanks.
Danl8

Re: installing shell purfling

Post by Danl8 »

Check BluesCreekGuitars.com first. LMII has three sizes and Guitarmakers Connection in Nazareth, PA has various Teflon strip sizes. I'm surprised that Stewmac doesn't have multiple sizes as in really surprised, that doesn't make sense. Duke of Pearl and Custompearlinlay.com probably can help you, too.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I carry 1/16 and .050 in and it is polyurethane strips
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Take a look at ZipFlex https://www.advancedshelltech.com/zipflex
It makes installing abalone pufling simple.
I used It on my first build. I put a description of the build In the "Blog your Project" section. Look up "A more-or-less copy of a Martin om." Someplace in there I talk about using Zipflex.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I just used it and it is dead easy to install. Don't need the teflon or poly strips that pull out - you can just install it with the rest of the spaghetti.

Only problem is it looks different if you know what you are looking at.

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:I just used it and it is dead easy to install. Don't need the teflon or poly strips that pull out - you can just install it with the rest of the spaghetti.

Only problem is it looks different if you know what you are looking at.

Ed
It just doesn't look like real shell? or doesn't have the sparkle or whatever?
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

It is not readily apparent until you compare it to shell that is installed in the traditional crack as needed technique. Get a photo of one of those and compare to these shots - they are very noce, but they don't have that nice faceted look. If you click on an image it enlarges

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've never done a side-by-side comparison, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing <grin>. I can certainly believe traditionally installed abalone looks better, but Zipflex looks very good. If you use it, I don't think you will be disappointed. If doubtful, buy one strip and use it for a center strip on the back. You can see how it looks, and if you still want to go the traditional route on the top you can, since they won't be seen at the same time.
(Actually, for a straight line on the back, the thing to use would be the straight rigid abalone strips that company sells. Considerably cheaper than the zipflex, but the same concept.)

I did find that the zipflex benefited from a session of polishing with progressive grits going to 12,000 followed by polishing compound. That helped the sparkle.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion