www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am 

I'm working on another Ashborn parlor and thought it might be of interest to share some pix of the braces now that they're carved as I like them.

The lines of the guitar were taken from a pre-1860 Ashborn brought to me by a customer who wanted a modern replica. The goal was a steel-string guitar that looked like a Civil War era instrument. It took a couple of tries to get the voicing I wanted; this is the final design. I've since built several of these lovely tiny (11 1/2" at the lower bout, 24.5" scale) guitars.

This one uses redwood for the soundboard and claro walnut for the back and sides. The neck will be walnut as well. The soundboard is thicknessed to 0.110", which was the point at which it stopped ringing clearly and began to have the complex tap tone I like.

In keeping with the parlor tradition, the bracing is light and well-scalloped. Upper face brace is 1/2" x 1/2", with tapered sides. The X is 1/4" x 1/2" high at the intersection, the tone bar and fingers are also 1/4" wide but lower in height. The lower arms of the X are scalloped starting mid-way across the bridge plate (which is my ebony-and-spruce laminate). I do not like to reduce the height of the X above that point since it compromises structure. The tone bar, fingers, and the bridge plate are tightly abutted to the X. The soundhole supports are under 1/4", about 1/8" tall, beveled on the sides and ends. They are tightly fitted to the upper X arms and the upper face brace. The soundhole, by the way, is 3 5/8" diameter and is bound with walnut.

Hope that this is of some interest. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the Ash(re)born.

Rick

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:00 pm 

Rick, am I seeing that right - the treble side lower x is not scalloped and the base side is? or is it the pic perspective and just not completed?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

How do the size of these braces compare to the bracing you do on your 0 sized guitars? The guitar in the picture is lovely. I will see you at the GAL pre-party. Thanks to you and Cat for hosting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:51 pm 

Bad lighting -- maybe I'm better at making them than photographing them ... The lower arms of the X are both scalloped. I like some asymmetry in bracing (I think it reduces the likelihood of weird, unwanted resonances) but not that much.

John, the bracing is not that different from an 0-size parlor but it is a bit lighter (less tall, more tapered). The scale length is almost 1/2" shorter so there's a lot less tension and the body is 2" narrower so there's a shorter lever arm -- those factors allow a thinner top and lighter bracing. Soundboard material choice and thickness are the primary ways I control tone; bracing is always secondary. At a guess, this top is probably 0.005" - 0.010" thinner than it would be for an OM or similar.