www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:46 pm 

I've started an OM-body 12 string and in my musings have decided to brace it like the Larrivee dreadnought I have owned for thirty years. So I wanted a better look inside, and took a series of photos. I tried several camera and lighting options, and a remote release, but in the end what worked best was a small point-and-shoot camera (actually waterproof) set on "macro" and using the built-in flash. I thought I would be able to splice the images together as a panorama using Affinity Photo, my preferred software. It works beautifully on landscapes, but not so well here. Because of the very wide angle used at a very short distance, there was enough distortion in the bracing that the software often couldn't splice it. So the attached crude photo is cobbled together from some panorama bits and other images. The result is that the braces look twisted and distorted, and the lighting is very uneven. But it served my purpose of seeing how the bracing goes together. I was a bit surprised to see that the lower cross brace (tone bar?) actually does not connect to the X-brace. I believe it is different on other Larrivee models, but still low on the X-brace. An image of a Grit Laskin Larrivee-influenced guitar has the lower brace much closer to the upper. Not sure yet where I will put that lower brace, especially on a 12-string, but I can get started at least. And there is room for improvement in the photography process too . . . Bruce W.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.