Fire Damaged Gibson

Diane Kauffmds

Fire Damaged Gibson

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I thought this Gibson looked like it had been exposed to high heat. My client is a Gibson collector, with a LOT of guitars. This one presents with a lot of cracks in the back. They are open cracks, so I started with rehydration. It helped, but I could see light through all of them.

The worst of the cracks runs along side of the back reinforcement strip, then away from it as it enters the upper bout, a tricky place to put any cleats. I decided to use muslin soaked in hide glue to cover the cracks. It's when I placed the first strip in the lower bout, my wet hand came out full of soot. So, indeed this poor thing survived a major fire.

I had already placed the cleat that you see, then decided to change strategy. I'll pull the cleat out tomorrow and just use a continuous piece of muslin. I'll dye the muslin repairs darker, so they don't look so new.

The back has the most cracks, so I'm dealing with it first. The top has cracks, but they've closed. I'll deal with the top tomorrow.
20230514_114741.jpg
20230516_153929.jpg
20230517_141111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Fire Damaged Gibson

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wow. How old is this guitar?
Most folks would pass this one up but if it's rare then I guess it's worth saving.
You do amazing things with these guitars Diane.
I know you'll make it play again.

Looks like the pick guard melted a bit.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I hope you get that old fellow back to playing condition. Such a good looking instrument. I know it will respond to your talents. And hey, you have torrefied wood throughout!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

TEETERFAN wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:39 pm I hope you get that old fellow back to playing condition. Such a good looking instrument. I know it will respond to your talents. And hey, you have torrefied wood throughout!
Hahaha! Never thought of that.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:24 pm Wow. How old is this guitar?
Most folks would pass this one up but if it's rare then I guess it's worth saving.
You do amazing things with these guitars Diane.
I know you'll make it play again.

Looks like the pick guard melted a bit.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

terrified guitar
great project
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Definitely thoroughly torrified! I've replaced the cleats with muslin and I've dyed it. It's ugly no matter what I do, but it's sealed and will play well. I've glued the brace back into it. I have to replace the nut, which someone shimmed really high for some reason. I guess I'll find out tomorrow, after I knock it out and replace it..

I'll post photos tomorrow.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Did more work on the guitar that I've named 'Ol' Smokey Gibson. I worked thinned cold hide glue into the cracks from the outside, cleaned up with a damp cloth, then used neodymium magnets. The thinned glue works its way into any space that isn't glued under the muslin, and under the reinforcement strip along the back. The magnets clamp everything together, making the cracks smooth on the back.

The press and seal sticks to the guitar, but not the glue. I started using it instead of waxed paper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm finishing Ol' Smokey Gibson today. The back cracks and center seam are glued flat. I'm cutting a new nut. Someone shimmed the old nut with blue plastic.

Photos to follow when the guitar is done. It'll go Hine tomorrow.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

She's ready to go home. She's ugly, but she's a player.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars