Looking for some help making this repair

Kevin Sjostrand

Looking for some help making this repair

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I haven't been very active here for a few months, been pretty busy and not currently build a guitar, although I will be starting #15 very soon I hope

I think I mentioned this guitar a few months ago that a friend received when her father passed away.
She wanted me to RESTORE it and put it in playing condition. I explained to her that it would take much work to do a complete restoration, which might also devalue the guitar, and we agreed to just clean and replace needed parts
and to fix the separated joint on the back.

So I am finally getting to this repair.

This guitar is a 1935 Gibson L-10. It is a transitional model, made only a few months. The moved from an all black L-10 to a sunburst version with upgraded adornments in late 1935.
This guitar was built between that change. I can not find a label inside (sad) but perhaps there is a serial number somewhere else like on the neck block. I will try and get a mirror in there.

Anyway. The part I have in question is the seam repair. It begins at the end block, and goes about 1/2 way up the back. My first thought was low humidity as this guitar was in the high desert of California for many many years.
But as I looked closer, I see that at the start of the crack at the end block, the crack starts off the seam. I'm guessing that perhaps the guitar as dropped on its end, and this caused the crack perhaps.
So I am in the process of humidifying the guitar hoping the seam closes up at least a bit. Then I will glue the seam probably using Titebond. My dilemma is how to clamp this back at the lower bout to help close the joint.

I am not expecting it is going to close up tight. And I am not going to refinish the guitar, so it is going to be visible I know. I'd just like to help it structurally.
Also, the end block might be cracked, but there is no crack on the outside of the guitar at the end block. The end pin is missing, and I see no visible damage in the hole itself.

Any ideas on how to clamp the lower bout would be helpful. I've seen someone on the tube using a ratchet tight down strap, which is what I was considering trying.

Thanks for your insight guys.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Looking for some help making this repair

A few more pics.
I have the restoration tuners from Stewmac, a replacement pick guard, replacement tail piece, new nut.
The bridge I don't think is original, but it is okay.
The frets aren't to bad. There are some player divots in the rosewood fretboard.
My friend doesn't play (she is 68 years old) and just wants to display the guitar on the wall but wants it playable ??
New case too. It was her fathers who bought it used in Hawaii during WWII, so sentimental things going on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

call me
there is a great product for this repair
I can walk you through it
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks John, I'll try and get you tomorrow morning.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Wow, 1935, it sure looks good. Glad she wants it playable. Would love to hear the sound!
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Any news?

Thanks!
peter havriluk