First pyramid bridge

Diane Kauffmds

First pyramid bridge

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The 1890 Thompson Odell parlor, had an ebony pyramid bridge which was split completely. I was going to buy a pyramid bridge, but decided that it was a skill that I need to learn.

Unfortunately, I don't have the original bridge anymore, nor do I have a pyramid bridge that I can use as a reference. I worked off of photos from the internet, combined with schematics that mainegeezer made. I noticed that Martin bridges are a bit rounded. I only have one photo of the Odell with the bridge. It seems to be slightly rounded as well.

The layout and angle calculations were easy enough, but it took me quite a while to catch onto how to execute the cuts. I used a combination of my chisels, a razor rasp, and sandpaper.

For better or worse, I ended up with this. The edges and top of the pyramid are too rounded. The next time I'll know how to cut the angles so there won't be such a waste of wood. The blank was thick, so at least I had enough wood to make the bridge without wasting the blank totally.
PicsArt_08-30-01.59.48.jpg
2016-04-08 15.45.48.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com