Martin 1947 000-28 FINISHED

Diane Kauffmds

Re: Martin 1947 000-28

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

thronson wrote:Hello Diane, Been following your progress and now confused regarding the scale length. The 1947 14 fret 000-28 has a standard scale length of 24.9 (short scale). The one you are replacing is a long scale. Is it possible that the previous repair switched out the original neck and installed another neck with a longer scale unknowingly? From the pic, it looks like the body was built for the short scale?

t
The neck is original, but the fretboard is long scale. I have no idea what the person was thinking, when s/he did this to the guitar. My gut told me short scale, but given the long scale board and weird measurements long the neck, I questioned it. It is a short scale guitar.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Martin 1947 000-28

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The neck reset is done, and the new fingerboard as well as the bridge are attached. I fabricated a new bone nut and saddle for her. I still have adjustments that I need to make to the saddle, as well as the bridge pin holes, so that the pins sit straight.

I strung her up and listened to her for the first time. She's not as loud as an OM, but she has a special balance that has made me reconsider the bracing on my next personal guitar.

She sounds magical.
PicsArt_06-18-09.47.15.jpg
PicsArt_06-18-09.46.46.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Martin 1947 000-28 FINISHED!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've long finished and shipped this guitar back. Here is the final photo of her. I put the new pickguard on her. She also has a nice, decent case.

If you've not seen this thread, go back through to see the trials and tribulations.
20170921_082138.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Martin 1947 000-28 FINISHED

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Diane

Looks great. The back turned out very well and the top was quite a feat on your part.

A question - did you need the dovetail extension piece that you epoxied on? Did you you remove it?

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

great
you are learning
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

Wow, that was a fantastic refurb! Glad I took the time to read the whole thread. Thanks for posting the entire process.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Diane

Looks great. The back turned out very well and the top was quite a feat on your part.

A question - did you need the dovetail extension piece that you epoxied on? Did you you remove it?

Ed
Hi Ed,

Yes, the shim is there. I dyed the entire heel, including the shim, dark brown, bordering on black. Then, as I progressed up the neck, I lightened the dye. This totally disguised the shim, and blended with the BRW sides. The height of the shim is ~ 1/8", then it tapers down the angle of the heel.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kbore wrote:Wow, that was a fantastic refurb! Glad I took the time to read the whole thread. Thanks for posting the entire process.
Yes, this ended up being a very strange restoration.

Thank you for all of your comments.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars