1890 Thompson & Odell FINISHED!

Diane Kauffmds

1890 Thompson & Odell FINISHED!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I finally found a guitar worth restoring. It's a 1890 Thompson & Odell Parlor guitar. BRW sides and back. I'm not sure that the fretboard is original. It has a few cracks that need repaired. I think someone put polyurethane on it, which needs to come off. It needs a neck reset:
20160402_190230.jpg
20160402_190307.jpg
20160402_190237.jpg
20160402_190320.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Re: 1890 Thompson & Odell

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

If all it needs is a reset and crack repair you should have it up and running in not time - cool looking instrument.

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I restored one a few years back They are interesting.
jh
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

All of a sudden, I seem to have a lot of burners firing up. Guitars are starting to stack up here. LOL

But, this little guy, and the "Train Wreck" rattlesnake guitar are the most interesting to me.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's been a year since I started working on her. I finally found the time today to start work.

She has a lot of cracks to address. I took off the remnants of steel strings from the tuners. How anyone would think of putting steel on this delicate guitar is beyond my comprehension. Not surprisingly, i put a ruler down the fingerboard and it lays on the top. She needs a neck reset. I also have to make a new pyramid bridge for her. The original had broken into 2 pieces, down the center, through the holes.

I've already started stripping the polyurethane off of her top and back. The sides however, have a different finish, one that the Kleanstrip will not budge. I'll have to use the nasty stuff out on my front porch tomorrow.

But, I uncovered beauty that I couldn't see through the dark finish. The back centerstrip has lovely green and coral colors, along with the wood. The Brazilian rosewood is mind boggling.

The guitar doesn't have a dovetail joint. I took the fretboard off to find the joint.
PicsArt_06-18-04.17.51.jpg
PicsArt_06-18-04.16.52.jpg
PicsArt_06-18-04.15.38.jpg
PicsArt_06-18-04.14.55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I figured out how to add hours to the day! I get up at 4am, so I have time to work on my own instruments. LOL!

I've been working on the Odell. She ended up with problems unseen. She had a cracked neck block. I realized that the neck pocket was moving. Upon inspection I found that the entire block had split. I called John, who advised me to use CA glue for this repair. I'm glad to report that she survived.

It took a couple of days to get the polyurethane off of her. Once I got her stripped, I got all of the cracks fixed. She was missing some binding and purfling, especially on the top. The back had pulled away in the lower bout. When I took a closer look, I could see that someone had removed the back at one point, and put it back on crooked. I took the back off entirely, which was good. It allowed me to inspect the inside of the guitar and the bridge plate.

I french polished the entire guitar with shellac, but I decided to give her a softer sheen, rather than a hard shine. I think that this is appropriate for a guitar built in 1890.

When I reglued the back, I found out why it wasn't centered. With the back off, the sides warp a bit. I used long clamps and cauls to keep the sides parallel, since I had no mold. The back is centered now.

I ended up replacing all of the purfling and binding. The challenge was matching the original color of the purfling. The guitar had reddish pink purfling around the top and back, which matched the purfling used in the rosette. When I removed what was left of the old purfling, I had to be careful of the marquetry inlay. All of the work you see on the guitar, is separate, tiny pieces of wood.

I found pink coral dye, which fortunately matched the original purfling color. I dyed thin strips of white maple to make the purfling. I bound the guitar with ivoroid binding.

The guitar still has the original ivory heel cap and the original ivory nut. I ended up using a bridge that I had on hand and I cut a new bone saddle. After a long year, I have finally gotten to hear this guitar sing.

WOW! She resonates. I have her strung at the moment, with hard tension nylon strings. I will restring her with light silk and steel strings, or one of the number of strings with reduced tension for old guitars. However, the nylon strings sound great. The intonation is spot on.
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2680.JPG
IMG_2688.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
johnnparchem

Re: 1890 Thompson & Odell FINISHED!

Post by johnnparchem »

Diane, It your restoration and repair work looks great! Thanks for share how you did it.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Beeeautiful!! Hopefully this one will have a long stay in inventory?
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Danl8 wrote:Beeeautiful!! Hopefully this one will have a long stay in inventory?
Oh yes. This one is mine. Thank you.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Nicely done

A question - how did you get the shape correct before gluing on the back? Did you make a mold?

Ed
Ed M