The Rattlesnake Guitar. Martin D-18

Diane Kauffmds

The Rattlesnake Guitar. Martin D-18

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This poor girl has fallen victim to improper repairs, and Lord knows what else. She needs a neck, crack repairs, and she's missing wood on the sides. Someone dumped a gallon or more of shellac all over her back and sides, as well as the cracked bridge and neck crack. I guess they thought it would hold the guitar together.

However, even in this shape, she rings like a bell. The owner was going to sell her as a project guitar. I told him that I think we could get her singing again. He doesn't care about looks; he cares about being able to play her. He actually likes the top with it's dowel pins which were used to fill in holes. Someone broke her neck off, so it's been "fixed". It will need a total neck replacement.

We call her the "Rattlesnake" guitar. She had 4 rattlesnake tales glued inside her. We're going to glue them back in when she's done.
IMG_7480.jpg
D-18'44.jpg
D-18'44.jpg2.jpg
IMG_7504.jpg
IMG_8150.JPG
Rattle snake '44. Rattles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: The Rattlesnake Guitar. Martin D-18

Post by tippie53 »

that will wake you up in a hurry

Funny how we find a name for something.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

All kinds of rumors why those are in there from keeping other pests out, to good luck to helps absorb moisture.
Tim Benware
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'll ask John Hall; he's going to do the majority of the restoration. I'm going to start and he's going to do the really important stuff. I don't know enough to do this whole restoration.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Diane

Do you know the age/serial number? Have fun.

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I my gosh, I just saw this. What a project.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it is a 1944 D 18. I just got finished rebuilding the heel I should have taken more pictures but in a nut shell I had to cut out the bad part , I do have a few old necks in the shop and I took some transplant material from them. The heel is not solid wood and not bond0. The fretboard is reglued , that was loose and I will pull the frets, re radius the board and then compression fret this neck. I did the reset and next week I will take this to my finish guy.
The plan isn't to make it a museum piece but to just make it a playable guitar.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Diane

Do you know the age/serial number? Have fun.

Ed
Hi Ed,

Here is a photo. Although a train wreck, this guitar is rare. It has scalloped bracing rather than straight.
serial.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have the photos of John's excellent repair of Ariel's heel. John used a compatible old neck that he had in the shop. He First, he cut out the area that had been filled with wood putty, and used the wood from the "donor" neck to replace this area. He then had to cut off Ariel's heel, which was replaced with the heel from the donor neck.

It sounds simple, but it was anything but. I hope I have the photos in the right order.

This is the sequence for replacing the wood putty filled area. BTW, please notice that the neck has about enough shellac to french polish 5 guitars!

Of course the neck had to be removed and the mortise cleaned
1.jpg
2.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

John cut out the area that had been filled with wood putty. He cut wood from the donor neck to patch this area. Then, the area was sanded and shaped:
3.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars