Joining the fun?

Joining the fun?

Post by   »

While walking our dog at 2 AM the other morning I spotted this old Harmony tenor sitting on top of a pile of stuff waiting for the sanitation guys. It followed me home.

According to the Harmony database website http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=253# this is a Monterey Tenor H950T, all solid birch, built in 1948.

Is it worth the time and effort for this rookie to attempt repair??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Re: Joining the fun?

Post by johnnparchem »

Looks like a fun project, which has it own inherent value.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Cut my repair teeth on old Harmonys.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

in the movie Animal house when the angel and devil were on the shoulders the devil said " DO IT". In this case I would go with the devils advice.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Post by   »

dev-ang.jpg
??????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I think it's worth restoring. At the very least, you'll end up with a nice arch top guitar. From what I've seen, Harmony Archtops are quite popular on Ebay.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

I say go for it. Bring that incredibly cool tenor back to life! Looks like water damage, eh?
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.

Post by   »

ColestineGuitar wrote:I say go for it. Bring that incredibly cool tenor back to life! Looks like water damage, eh?
I thought water damage at first but I haven't yet found any water lines. Perhaps the guitar was lying face up in water but again, I see no tell tale signs.
Once I remove the back I'll have a better idea of what I'm up against.

Post by   »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:I think it's worth restoring. At the very least, you'll end up with a nice arch top guitar. From what I've seen, Harmony Archtops are quite popular on Ebay.
Yes they sure are. There were a ton of them made by Harmony. Regrettably, they're not in the 'highly sought' category, although I see sellers asking $350 for a similar guitar. Of course that seller is in search of a sucker because looking at the 'Sold' listings, the prices that buyers are willing to pay are under $100., way under $100.

I'll give this trash pile find an attempt at repair and keep everyone posted as I progress or regress.